Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Unavailable movie magic screensaver

Jump to solution

It reverted to "City Scroll:  Movie Magic" today (promotional period ended)

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: City Stroll: Movie Magic

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We would recommend trying to perform a manual update on your Roku device to see if you are still experiencing the issue you are reporting.

Instructions to manually update your software:
1. Navigate to Settings
2. Select System
3. Select System update
4. Select Check now
For more information about how to check for a manual update, visit our Support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?
Let us know how it goes! We're hoping this will work for you.

Regards,
Mary

RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Where is City Stroll: Movie Magic

Jump to solution

Hi @TiggerTwo2112,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

We would recommend trying to perform a manual update on your Roku device to see if you are still experiencing the issue you are reporting.

Instructions to manually update your software:
1. Navigate to Settings
2. Select System
3. Select System update
4. Select Check now
For more information about how to check for a manual update, visit our Support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

Does this clear up the issue you are seeing? Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
TiggerTwo2112
Channel Surfer

Re: Where is City Stroll: Movie Magic

Jump to solution

System is up to date. 

Software version: 10.0.0

Build: 4197

0 Kudos
Kaisonic

Jump to solution

As of today (June 21), Roku pushed some sort of update that is only triggered by doing a manual update check. When I did this, it said "aligning solar panels" or something. It didn't actually do a system update, but when I then went to Screensavers, City Stroll Movie Magic was back and able to be selected. It's dated 6/21/2021, and the Movie Magic that comes up when you do a Search is still broken (no image and it says "Could not add" when you try to Add Channel), so they clearly broke this and just fixed it today.

In other words, there wasn't a system update needed, but doing a manual system update check will trigger whatever was needed to fix the City Stroll: Movie Magic screensaver.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Kaisonic wrote:

As of today (June 21), Roku pushed some sort of update that is only triggered by doing a manual update check. When I did this, it said "aligning solar panels" or something. It didn't actually do a system update, but when I then went to Screensavers, City Stroll Movie Magic was back and able to be selected. It's dated 6/21/2021, and the Movie Magic that comes up when you do a Search is still broken (no image and it says "Could not add" when you try to Add Channel), so they clearly broke this and just fixed it today.

In other words, there wasn't a system update needed, but doing a manual system update check will trigger whatever was needed to fix the City Stroll: Movie Magic screensaver.

Actually it did do an update - an update of the (hidden) City Stroll: Movie Magic screensaver app (yes, screensavers are apps).

Ironically, they "broke" this today: If you do a search and add it, it will add the older 30.0.35 version, instead of the newer/updated 30.0.40 version, and both will be listed under Settings/Theme/Screensavers (I recommend removing the old 30.0.35 version and keeping the newer/update 30.0.40 version).

NOTE: The above only works on Ultra models - all other models show a blank image/no info and attempting to add the channel results in "channel install failed"

This really has been a poorly explained & executed promotion of the Disney movie "Luca" where they decided to temporarily replace a very popular screensaver with the Luca one (obviously for the purpose of maximized exposure), and broke the search/install for it in the "reversion" process.

0 Kudos
TiggerTwo2112
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I finally found it. Version 30.0.40. Still couldn't find it by doing a search but I stumbled upon it at the very bottom screensaver list. 

A big thumbs down to Roku for replacing it with some promotional stunt for a cartoon... if that is indeed the case.

Normally I wouldn't care one way or the other but that City Stroll screensaver somehow comforted me through some very dark times during the lockdown. 

Anyway, thank for all the replies! 

0 Kudos
Latoria
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Screenshot_20210621-171014_Photos.jpg

20210621_165712~3.jpg

20210621_165942~2.jpg

*Here Are The Steps*

1. Settings   2. Theme (click, scroll) 

3. Screensaver (click) 

4. City Stroll: Movie Magic (click)

5. Preview  6. Select  7. Done

0 Kudos
Miguelt
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks, I just came back from work and I see that I have the city scroll screen saver again! I didn't hace to do anything Smiley Surprised

JimCockfield
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Latoria:

Your steps didn't work when the problem was first reported.  Roku had removed the Movie Magic Screensaver from the list of available Screensavers, so we had no way to revert to it.

Miguelt:

Hooray.  I woke up to the Movie Magic Screensaver.  So, perhaps Roku listened to the complaints from users like us that were unhappy with the change to Luca.

I didn't realize that I liked the Movie Magic Screensaver until it was replaced by an advertisement for Luca.  That was very annoying!

So, I'm glad the Movie Magic Screensaver is back 

Thank you Roku.

0 Kudos