Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tajson
Level 8

Re: Cities missing from time zone list

"Docom" wrote:
If it was created programmatically, then:
A) It wouldn't be limited to 38 cities.

There are 38 unique times in the world so it would be logically to begin with a city from each time zone/locality and build on top of that.

Secondly, if you read the past thread I posted, you should know that you can post a request in the pinned feedback thread about this subject.

Lastly, your region is unsupported from Roku and if your city is not on the list then you can pick another city with a similar local time as yours i.e. Helsinki or Sofia should work too.
0 Kudos
Docom
Level 7

No, it doesn't. South Africa is the same time zone as Greece, but 7000 km away. Assuming that one city can represent the entire span between the two is not satisfactory, useful or even practical.

These are Roku's forums. I assume there's a company moderator or customer support rep. going over recent messages - like this - not those from four years ago.

Ah, yes, the sweet sun of Finland. Why didn't Windows let me pick FINLAND as my time zone instead of the sweaty MIDDLE EAST? Gosh, what would I have done if I had THAT option? If only less systems allowed me to choose my ACTUAL time zone, I might've pretended our summer is a cool Finish breeze. Then, come DST, I could change to Kaliningrad and pretend I'm eating berries on the shores of the Baltic sea, which AREN'T SUPPORTED BY ROKU EITHER.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"Docom" wrote:
...This seems like a fairly arbitrary selection, and should be easy to fix.

Once again, just like on another thread, your not liking something doesn't make it something that needs fixing. Perhaps you'd be happier if you used a device that's supported in your area.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Docom
Level 7

It's not about me "not liking something", it's about snarky and unhelpful comments (not to say plain ignorant) in response to very simple, straightforward problems. Raising a popup saying "feature not supported" is not a feat of higher engineering, and neither is using the tz database, standardized 30 years ago, which is already part of the underlying OS. How would a helpful comment look like?

Roku's search function and voice commands are tied (for whatever reason) to location. It's mentioned in this page, but I agree it's kind of "fine print". As for the city selection - yeah, it looks pretty arbitrary. You can submit both issues to Roku support at this mail.

Instead we get a couple of people trying to explain away what are mostly likely a couple of design oversights.

I do hope Roku personnel are following this.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Level 10

Still confused over this. Wouldn't you & Beirut/Lebanon be in the same Time Zone?  Why not just chose that? 

I hate the Giants & Yankees, but I have to choose NYC each time. 
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"Docom" wrote:
No, it doesn't. South Africa is the same time zone as Greece, but 7000 km away. Assuming that one city can represent the entire span between the two is not satisfactory, useful or even practical.

These are Roku's forums. I assume there's a company moderator or customer support rep. going over recent messages - like this - not those from four years ago.

Actually, South Africa does not have the same time as Greece.

South Africa shares the same time with Burundi, Egypt, Jordan, Malawi, Mozambique, some of Russia, Rwanda, Sudan, Swaziland, Zambia, and  Zimbabwe.

Where Greece shares your time in Israel and Finland along with Bulgaria, Cyprus, Estonia, Latvia, Lebanon, Lithuania, Moldova, Palestine, Romania, Syria, and Ukraine.

So if you are not happy picking a city in a neighboring county due to any conflict then pick some other city that shares your time where Finland would be the perfect choice as "come DST" they will follow your time change as well.

By the way, this is a user supported forum hosted and moderated by Roku. I highly doubt that an Roku employee reads all of the threads posted here. If you want official Roku Support you should call Roku or use their Chat for support. But then again, your region is still unsupported by Roku.
0 Kudos
Docom
Level 7

Actually, South Africa does not have the same time as Greece.

Just like Finland and Israel. And you suggested I pick Finland.

Where Greece shares your time in Israel and Finland

Israel maintains its own time zone.

By the way, this is a user supported forum hosted and moderated by Roku. I highly doubt that an Roku employee reads all of the threads posted here.

"Moderation" by definition suggests messages are read. You'd be a bad forum admin if you didn't pay attention to what's going on in your forum. And Roku employees occasionally reply here as well.

If you want official Roku Support you should call Roku or use their Chat for support

Yeah, that much I gathered. Thanks.

But then again, your region is still unsupported by Roku.

That's nothing to do with supported. It's a net-connected device, it would work in space if it has a wireless network to connect to. It should function globally, and it is marketed as such ("use in hotels, dorm rooms" etc.).

Cheers.
0 Kudos