Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Docom
Level 7

Cities missing from time zone list

The time zones list under "settings" is missing Jerusalem, which typically represents Israeli time. It's also missing Amman and Cairo, which represent Jordan and Egypt, respectively. Gaza, Beirut and Damascus are all shown, as is Nicosia. This seems like a fairly arbitrary selection, and should be easy to fix.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
twiceover
Level 11

Re: Cities missing from time zone list

There isn't a city from your timezone?  I thought the idea is to just give you a city that is somewhere in the timezone you want.  I'm nowhere near Chicago USA, but that's inevitably what I always pick.
0 Kudos
Docom
Level 7

We're not talking "a city next to a major city", we're talking the major city. It's as if in your case Chicago would be missing and you'd have to pick Des Moines. If we're picking one city to represent a state, Chicago is it, Jerusalem (or occasionally Tel Aviv) is it, etc. etc.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Level 9

You don't pick a city to represent a state, or country. You pick a city to select your Time Zone. Do  Israel, Cairo, or Egypt follow different time zones?  Same with Gaza, Beirut or Damascus? Do they do anything different than other countries?

Reason I ask is your example of Des Moines. I think up until recently Indiana did not 'turn the clocks back 1 hour' like the rest of the US. I think Arizona still doesn't, so they would need their own time zone. Puerto Rico I think is 1 hour ahead of NYC, or maybe its only when NY puts their clock up 1 hour. Anyway, things like that. There's reasons cities & countries may have a seperated time zone, because their time is unique. Not just because it's a large city or the capital of its country.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"Docom" wrote:
The time zones list under "settings" is missing Jerusalem, which typically represents Israeli time. It's also missing Amman and Cairo, which represent Jordan and Egypt, respectively. Gaza, Beirut and Damascus are all shown, as is Nicosia. This seems like a fairly arbitrary selection, and should be easy to fix.

I believe that this is tied to unsupported counties by Roku. Similar to that people in Japan are just setting the timezone to PST.
0 Kudos
Docom
Level 7

You don't pick a city to represent a state, or country. You pick a city to select your Time Zone.

Presumably you know your time zone, so why pick a city to begin with? For ease ("Mom, what time zone are we now?") and automation (eg. DST adjustments). Both of these mean you need a broader selection of cities than just one per time zone, as your reasoning would suggest (and which make the whole thing redundant).

Do  Israel, Cairo, or Egypt follow different time zones?  Same with Gaza, Beirut or Damascus? Do they do anything different than other countries?

They maintain their own DSTs.

I believe that this is tied to unsupported counties by Roku

None of these are supported by Roku.
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"Docom" wrote:

I believe that this is tied to unsupported counties by Roku

None of these are supported by Roku.

Hence the narrow selection of cities.
0 Kudos
Docom
Level 7

That's not narrow, that's odd. None of these are officially supported (nor are several dozen other cities on that list), so why have any of them? And if you have some, why these?
0 Kudos
Tajson
Level 8

"Docom" wrote:
That's not narrow, that's odd. None of these are officially supported (nor are several dozen other cities on that list), so why have any of them? And if you have some, why these?

I would guess that this behaviour is created to programmatically catch at least the 38 possible values of different time zone and locality combination throughout the world. Besides this issue has been debated here years ago: https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=68781[/url:267k4nva]
0 Kudos
Docom
Level 7

If it was created programmatically, then:
A) It wouldn't be limited to 38 cities.
B) Gaza, which doesn't have a stable electricity grid, and Damascus, which is a war zone, wouldn't take priority over any other city in the region, least of all Jerusalem and Cairo.

Why should I care if it was debated in 2014? If Windows 95 had it right, so can Roku. Exercise: Try changing the time zone of whatever OS you're using on any device; how many cities do you see, and are Jerusalem/Cairo/Amman part of the list?
0 Kudos