Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Re: Channels reloading with Micro SD card installed

"bvd1022" wrote:
I’ve been considering reaching out to CS, but normally whenever I have any issues, which is rare for me with Roku, reporting issues here is usually my first line of action as far as troubleshooting. I will provide my model number/serial number to the mods if needed.

Please :mrgreen:

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 10

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
"bvd1022" wrote:
I’ve been considering reaching out to CS, but normally whenever I have any issues, which is rare for me with Roku, reporting issues here is usually my first line of action as far as troubleshooting. I will provide my model number/serial number to the mods if needed.

Please :mrgreen:

C. Shawn Smith

Hi Shawn,

Here is my info:

Model: 4200X-Roku 3

Serial number: 1GJ37Y128025

As I said I am unable to switch between themes beyond the default pre-installed theme and Decaf. Whenever I try to switch to another pre-installed theme or one that I purchased it has a 0% load and comes up with this message Theme Switch failed the selected theme could not be used.

The channel reloading issue started with software version 7.0 build 9044 and also caused some issues with Netflix as I have previously reported on the forum. The SD card I've been using is a scandisk 8gb. I have tried factory resets both with the card installed and without it installed. Anytime I try to load a channel without a card installed with the exception of Netflix and Amazon I get an error message that reads cannot load channel because the channel could not be reinstalled from the network and it then prompts me to check my connection which has had no issues. When I do a software update since the last reset it says Adding Roku Media player. I took my SD card out of my Roku last night and hooked it up to my laptop and reformated it thinking that it might solve the channel reloading issue, upon reinstalling the card into my Roku, it formatted and updated channels, but anytime I go to load a channel beyond Netflix or Amazon, the channel reloads. I was thinking about buying a new card this weekend perhaps a kingston to see if that is any better since I have had issues since the last firmware update, but I want to see if I can solve this before I spend any more money.

As I said before my Roku 3 is barely two years old and was originally purchased in January 2014. I was hoping to get at least three to five years out of this Roku after upgrading from my discontinued Roku LT that I purchased in 2012, but I hope this is just a temporary thing and an upgrade won't be required at least for now.

Thanks in advance for your help I know you're busy and I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Thanks. I'm going to forward this over to CS T3, in order to take a look at your logs. Hopefully I can get something for you tomorrow evening or Friday morning.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 10

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
Thanks. I'm going to forward this over to CS T3, in order to take a look at your logs. Hopefully I can get something for you tomorrow evening or Friday morning.

C. Shawn Smith

Thank you Shawn.

I won't do any more troubleshooting for now until I hear back from you, but if my Roku reboots on it's own and has any more issues I'll report it. The good thing is I haven't had to do a reset today and the last time I rebooted it, it did not ask me to set up/activate as it did several times last night as it would with a factory reset.

Thank you again for your help I appreciate it.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 10

"RokuShawnS" wrote:

C. Shawn Smith

Hi Shawn,

I was wondering if you have heard back from CS yet? I have experienced a few reboots, but thankfully no full resets over the last few days, but the issues I have been dealing with remain. This morning, I was browsing through my themes to see if one of them would switch over and it did, and for a brief period channels weren't reloading when I clicked on them, but then I ran into the same issue I previously reported to you regarding issues starting up Netflix.

I uninstalled the channel and reinstalled it fixed the Netflix issue, but now channels are back to reloading whenever I click on them and I'm back to not being able to use themes beyond what was pre-installed on my Roku 3. I also noticed a small issue with regard to WWE Network. I was watching a title on the network the other night and fell asleep, normally whenever a title completes it goes back to the option to watch the title again from the beginning. Normally I have a screensaver (LED Time and Weather) set to go on after ten minutes of inactivity, but I woke up to a black screen and could not get it back to that title screen or the Roku home screen and I had to do a reboot via remote in order to get back to the home screen.

Also, the LED Time and Weather screensaver has only been displaying the current time for me and not current weather info similar to the Roku digital clock. I don't know whether these bugs are related to what I've been dealing with since the last firmware update or not, but I thought I'd pass it along.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

D'oh, forgot to follow-up with CS after all the meetings last week.

I'll hit them up this afternoon. Sorry about that.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 10

"RokuShawnS" wrote:
D'oh, forgot to follow-up with CS after all the meetings last week.

I'll hit them up this afternoon. Sorry about that.

C. Shawn Smith

No problem. I appreciate the help.
0 Kudos
Mmg3eeVV5
Level 7

I have a Roku Premier+ and I have tried to download a SanDisk 200GB microSD card.  It downloaded to 99% and then said it had a problem and stopped.  I have tried at least 3 times now and there is always a problem.  I have updated the Roku and it still will not work.  I installed a 1GB from an old phone and it is full and I can not watch new shows on new channels.  It is full after using it for 2 weeks.  How can I get the 200 GB to download?  I do not game, only watch shows.
0 Kudos
filmmadman
Level 7

None of my sandisk cards work. I am ordering Kingston tonight. Crossing fingers. Wasted money on the Sandisk cards.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

"Mmg3eeVV5" wrote:
I have a Roku Premier+ and I have tried to download a SanDisk 200GB microSD card.  It downloaded to 99% and then said it had a problem and stopped.  I have tried at least 3 times now and there is always a problem.  I have updated the Roku and it still will not work.  I installed a 1GB from an old phone and it is full and I can not watch new shows on new channels.  It is full after using it for 2 weeks.  How can I get the 200 GB to download?  I do not game, only watch shows.

I don't think the Roku will support a card that large. The largest I've heard working was 64GB.
But the SD card is not a requirement to add channels. Once the Roku memory is "full", it doesn't store the channel code on the device. When you want to use a channel that doesn't already have the code available, it simply downloads it for use at that time, and removes the code of another channel (hopefully one that isn't used often). The only issue you have is a slight delay for the channel to actually load and open. Just because your existing card is full shouldn't mean you can't open a new channel. It just takes a little longer.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos