Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lion7718
Level 8

Re: Channels reloading with Micro SD card installed

"akstarr" wrote:
I had this problem with my roku too. I had to swap the micro sd card with the one in my cell phone. For whatever reason for me at least a different brand micro sd solved the problem. Hope this helps.

Wasn't posted before that the Roku had problems with SanDisk SD cards..??
I've always used Kingston for everything.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 10

I've done everything I can possibly think of including doing a factory reset with the SD card not installed and reinstalling the card after the reset, nothing I have tried seems to solve the problem. I checked the card and it is an 8gb (First SD card I ever purchased, wasn't aware of what storage capacity was good at the time I purchased it.) the card only has 7% used space on it, but I have only had the issue since the last firmware update so I don't know if the card suddenly went bad or, if it has to do with some sort of glitch in the firmware. I'm pretty much out of ideas.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 10

First I apologize for the double post. I want to give a brief update on things. Earlier this evening I decided to try one more trouble shooting step and took the sd card out of my roku again and did another factory reset due to not being able to access channels without the card installed. I then hooked the card into my laptop and formatted it. I then put it back in the roku and reformatted it, now though any time my Roku 3 reboots, it goes into a factory reset and I have to set my connection info and install channels again. I also noticed that custom themes I purchased for my roku do not install even though they are listed in my themes section and I cannot go and switch themes beyond the standard themes that are pre-installed on Roku.

Is there anyone who from the mods who can help me with this issue because my Roku 3 is barely two years old and I really don't want to have to replace it and/or go back to my discontinued Roku LT if I don't have to. I was hoping I would get three-five years out of this Roku 3 before needing to upgrade, but it seems like ever since the last firmware update 7.0 Build 9044 was installed I have had problems with my Roku 3 including having to do a factory reset when I couldn't access Netflix or get the Netflix channel/app to install from the channel story, whereas before the last firmware update I never had any problems with my Roku 3. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Why do you need the card at all? Take it out and leave it out.

If you have too many channels installed the overage will load as you need them and that's way better than having them all load all the time.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 10

"DubTaylor" wrote:
Why do you need the card at all? Take it out and leave it out.

If you have too many channels installed the overage will load as you need them and that's way better than having them all load all the time.

I tried that. I get an error message when I try to load channels saying error cannot load channel because it cannot be reinstalled from the network and then it prompts me to check my network connection. Nothing is wrong with my connection. Those channels will run with the SD card installed even though it loads as if there were no card installed,
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

Well, shucks...

...having to do with The Channel Store issues?

Oh well....
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 10

"DubTaylor" wrote:
Well, shucks...

...having to do with The Channel Store issues?

Oh well....

I'm not sure, but I do know that anytime I do a software update now it keeps saying installing Roku media player. Far as themes any time I try to go to one that is either a custom theme or Nebula or Daydream I get the following error message Theme switch failed The selection theme could not be used please try again later. Channels are still loading as if there is no SD card installed and if I try to take it out and do a factory reset as I said before channels don't load and I keep getting the cannot load channel because it cannot be reinstalled from the network error message.

This is a first for me normally I never have any issues at all with Roku.
0 Kudos
knuckle
Level 7

Hey bvd,

a couple of things ... do you have a different power supply to try on this unit the factory reset on reboot is got me thinking this may be power related so if you can try another PSU and see it would be helpful

Something else I would suggest is create another Roku account with the absolute bare minimum channel wise and do as Dub suggested -- remove the card completely and factory reset and link to this new account then one at a time add channels to the unit to find the tipping point ( where it says you need a card) or the channel causing the trouble -- on my Roku 3 I have 82 channels and 4 games with no card installed -- I cant save game data without the card so it is new game every time I play but I have none of the channel loading problems you are having
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
DubTaylor
Level 10

"knuckle" wrote:
I cant save game data without the card so it is new game every time I play...

OUCH!

There's a reason to stick a card in your device...

Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 10

My power supply is okay. I have two surge protectors hooked up, one of them has an HDMI switch, my Roku 3, and my Fire TV hooked into it, but whenever I use my Roku or Fire TV, the other is in sleep mode and is not in use. None of my other equipment is malfunctioning. I haven’t had to do a reset today as I write this it’s almost 4:30PM where I am and beyond channels reloading constantly beyond Netflix and Amazon, the only issue I’m having now is I can’t use any of my custom themes and beyond the first two pre-installed themes on the Roku, I keep getting the can’t switch theme error message.

When I woke up today I checked for a system update and it still says installing Roku media player. I’m hoping one of the mods on this board can give me some advice even though everything today so far is working beyond the SD card issue. I’ve been considering reaching out to CS, but normally whenever I have any issues, which is rare for me with Roku, reporting issues here is usually my first line of action as far as troubleshooting. I will provide my model number/serial number to the mods if needed.
0 Kudos