Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bvd1022
Level 9

Channels reloading with Micro SD card installed

Hi,

I'm not sure if someone has posted a similar thread, if this is a duplicate I apologize. I have noticed on my Roku 3 that channels are reloaded each time I click on a channel logo. The only exceptions are Netflix and Amazon Video. I have an 8gb micro SD card installed on my Roku 3 and was under the impression that it would solve the issue of channels reloading. Is there anything I can to to attempt to resolve this issue or could it be related to the latest firmware?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
knuckle
Level 7

Re: Channels reloading with Micro SD card installed

does a restart cure this for a while?
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"knuckle" wrote:
does a restart cure this for a while?

No I've tried that several times.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Does the Roku recognize the card?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
lion7718
Level 8

I always thought the SD card didn't really store anything. It was just used as kinda an overflow or buffer whenever it needed it.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"jeffrok" wrote:

Yes it does. To be sure it wasn't the card, I took it out and put it back it in. It recognized the card and did it's formatting. I also rebooted my roku 3 after I did this, but it hasn't changed. Every time I go to a channel it goes through a loading screen then I will go to a different channel and it goes through the same thing. I will then go back to the previous channel and it will again go through a loading screen.
0 Kudos
lion7718
Level 8

"bvd1022" wrote:
"jeffrok" wrote:

Yes it does. To be sure it wasn't the card, I took it out and put it back it in. It recognized the card and did it's formatting. I also rebooted my roku 3 after I did this, but it hasn't changed. Every time I go to a channel it goes through a loading screen then I will go to a different channel and it goes through the same thing. I will then go back to the previous channel and it will again go through a loading screen.

From that description it sounds like it installing the channel each time...
unless I don't understand what your saying.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
JimDandySTX
Level 7

Try a smaller card. 2 GB should be more than enough.
0 Kudos
akstarr
Level 7

I had this problem with my roku too. I had to swap the micro sd card with the one in my cell phone. For whatever reason for me at least a different brand micro sd solved the problem. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
dssonic
Level 7

I have this same problem with a Roku 3 and after much troubleshooting have determined the following (this will all sound odd and super-specific):

- Certain channels (usually games) will not install on the device, and once they are added to my account there is no way to remove them. Since they don't appear on the channel grid, there is nothing to remove and you cannot remove channels through the Roku website.

- Every time the device checks for updates (once per day) it will try to install the problem channels and fail, disrupting the update process. When this happens, the sd card gets erased.

To see if this is happening to you, open a channel and it should download to the SD card. Go to the home screen, then open the channel again, it should already be stored and not need to download. Go to the home screen, then in the system setting check for updates - some aspect of the update will fail. Then go back to the home screen and again open the same channel, it will need to download again because the SD card has been wiped.

The only way I've found to fix this is if you have another Roku attached to the same account that will successfully install the problem channel. You can then use that Roku to remove the channel from your account and the "bad" Roku will no longer attempt (and fail) to install it each day.

Also it's worth mentioning that once in a while a Netflix update will fail and cause this same problem - you can test this by checking for updates and if Netflix updates immediately check for updates again and Netflix will again update (because the update is failing). If this happens, remove the Netflix channel, then pull out the SD card, re-add the Netflix channel, then put the SD card back in. Be warned that one time I could not get Netflix to reinstall after deleting it, and to get it back I had to do a factory reset.
0 Kudos