Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
roccol7
Level 7

Channels "could not be reinstalled from the network"?

Hello all.  A couple of weeks ago, on many channels, I suddenly started getting the "Cannot run channel" message box saying that the channel could not run because it could not be reinstalled from the network and to check my network connection.  If I click check connection it does nothing so it's just as good as cancel. The network connection is fine (signal strength is good and I can see other channels that don't throw this message). On other channels the Roku starts to load the channel then just throws me back to the home screen.  Also, for a few weeks the Youtube channel wouldn't load because a different message box told me that I had too many channels.  I solved this by deleting and re-installing Youtube.  I have a 2 GB SD card in the unit and it's only 11% used.  It's a Roku 2 - 4210X.  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
0 Kudos
17 Replies
trekkeriii
Level 10

Re: Channels "could not be reinstalled from the network"?

Remove the 2 GB SD card. See if that helps.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
roccol7
Level 7

It didn't do anything. So I replaced it with a 16 GB card and now I'm getting the message box that says there's no more space and that I should remove channels.  It's almost as if the Roku doesn't want to use the SD card for storage.  I have 295 channels on it.  From what I've read even a 2 GB card should allow you to have an imfinite number of channels.  Should I just do a factory reset?
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 10

The 16G is probably too big. Roku's don't like giant cards. They may or may not work properly. Your Roku has about 256M of channel storage memory. It looks like 512M is the max built-in of other boxes.

It's possible something has become corrupted and a factory reset could be a last resort. I think it will automatically reload your channels, although you may need to re-authorize a ton of them. You can also see if you really need 295 channels and look into deleting some you never really use and see if that helps.
0 Kudos

I've been getting this the last couple of weeks, a reboot cleared it but it came back again after two weeks. Is the SD card worn out? Can I reformat within the Roku?

Steve
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.
0 Kudos
whyforumwhy
Level 7

I had this issue on my Roku 3 also.  Seemed fine after deleted a few channels but not sure why I had to do that since I have a 2gb card in it with plenty of space.  Oh well!!
0 Kudos
Kailyn1601
Level 7

Hi, im new, ive had the roku stick for a few months now and it works great, im after a code for the best chanel to stream live sky sports any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.
0 Kudos
roccol7
Level 7

"Kailyn1601" wrote:
Hi, im new, ive had the roku stick for a few months now and it works great, im after a code for the best chanel to stream live sky sports any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

With all due respect Kailyn your post has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.  I suggest you find an appropriate thread or start a new one.
0 Kudos
roccol7
Level 7

After a reboot the thing is now behaving normally for a few days.  It started acting up again last night telling me that it could not reinstall from the network but only on some channels and not others.  It also seems to be using the 16 GB card.  I'm puzzled and angry too at how we're told that even a 2 GB card can allow us infinite channels and now the thing is choking at 295 channels?  I've removed some that I absolutely never watch and still have 290.  I can't help but think this is some form of planned obsolescence.  My cell phone is doing the same thing.  It worked perfectly on Android 6 then after the Android 7 update it started acting up, so I have vowed that for subsequent phones I will never update the OS.  Is there any way to disable Roku updates?
0 Kudos

Still doing it on my Roku 3, I had 325 channels, I pruned those down to 280, its been doing it on BBC Iplayer and Youtube to name a few. could it be due to the latest update?

Steve
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.
0 Kudos