Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ruger1157
Channel Surfer

Channel access | Live TV guide

Jump to solution

First off I have to say I probably posting this all wrong,wrong place, but right now I don't care.

I am sick of going through thread after thread only to learn you still haven't fixed the update. One place I read was to send pm to someone but I cant seem to do that. You guys make it really hard to find info on your site or i am just blind i guess. I am tired of looking !!!

I have had a issue for a little while now but i guess   a week or 2 ago it just run off the rails. Now i cant go to guide from live tv and when i do get back there most of the channels don't show up. I am about to the point of getting something different. I hate to do that cause i like it so that i got a roku tv, now it don't work either.

Regards Terry

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Re: Channel access | Live TV guide

Jump to solution

Roku does not use apps. They are called channels. Philo is a channel.Netflix is a channel. Hulu is a channel. The issue you are having is with the Philo channel on your Roku device. Roku does not make the Philo channel. Philo does. If a recent Roku OS update changed how Philo works that is not Roku's issue. It is Philo. They need to update the channel. This goes for any device. When Apple releases a new version of iOS and something like Facebook no longer works right the problem is not cause Apple updated their OS. The problem is with Meta and they need to update the  Facebook app. When Microsoft updates Windows and the next thing you know Google Chrome does not work properly the fault is not with Microsoft it is with Google. Understand? 

View solution in original post

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@ruger1157 

Roku can be quite confusing with their terminology. They call apps "channels" although some apps do have channels, including the Roku Channel (which is an app). And, within the Roku Channel (an app) you can launch channels that actually standalone apps (which Roku calls "channels") and those channels (which are really apps) can contain channels which are channels.

See?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Channel access | Live TV guide

Jump to solution

Can't go to guide to live tv. Which channel are you speaking of? Roku channel? YouTube TV? Hulu with Live TV? Antenna channels?  You can contact support 3 ways. Here in this community, chat or email. It's all listed under the support page.

Capture.PNG

ruger1157
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Ok, I didnt give alot of details in my first post. I was venting.

I now understand all this pertains to the 10.5 update. I have a extra Roku stick I put in and it worked fine until it updated then it was the same as the Roku tv

I am using Philo streaming.

Hisense - 40H4+

Roku Tv -8217x

Software 10-5-0 Build 4210-90

Let me see if I can do a better job explaining this issue. When I go to my guide and select a channel i want to watch, I hit select and go to that live show, but once I am there I cannot go back to the guide, it shows up but when i click it it does nothing, the only way to get back to the guide is with the back button. now the problem when i get back to the guide this way only a few channels are available now. I can close philo out and reload, that dont help, its only after some time has passed that my channels come back, that is until i select another show to watch and same things happen.

As i mentioned i stuck another extra Roku stick and when i checked the s/w version was 10.0.0 and it worked like it always had until it update the s/w version to 10.5.0, then it acted just like my Roku tv. I have even another roku sticks, but i dont see any need in putting it in cause it will update the same as the others did.

I dont know if this has anything to do with  this or not but only one of my wifi channels show up. the 2.4 mhz i think but it used to show my 5 mhz also.

I would really like a solution to this. BTW I found the the topic on this issue but the way i read it that was all solved, not for me its not

Regards, Terry

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Ok let me pull this out of you the hard way. Your issue is with the Philo channel correct? Well Roku does not make the channel. Philo does. So you need to contact them. Are both Roku's using the same version of Philo? Maybe Philo changed the way the channel works. Companies often do that. I use YouTube TV. 

https://help.philo.com/using-philo/guide#:~:text=For%20quicker%20browsing%2C%20favorite%20channels,c....

0 Kudos
ruger1157
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

From my last post.

"As i mentioned i stuck another extra Roku stick and when i checked the s/w version was 10.0.0 and it worked like it always had until it update the s/w version to 10.5.0, then it acted just like my Roku tv. I have even another roku sticks, but i dont see any need in putting it in cause it will update the same as the others did."

I have contacted Philo about this to see if others are having this issue,  but explain to me how at s/w version 10.0.0 it works right but when that device  updated to 10.5.0 it dont.
0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Again take it up with Philo. Only they can update their Roku channel. 

0 Kudos
ruger1157
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@TrooperDada326 wrote:

Again take it up with Philo. Only they can update their Roku channel. 

You know what  i am calling channels is probably not what yall are calling channels. the Philo app loads fine from roku home page, screen what ever you call it

so when i put another roku device in that had s/w version 10.0.0 and it works just fine the its updates to 10.5 then it does work right at all.  THATS PHILO !!!

0 Kudos
TrooperDada326
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Roku does not use apps. They are called channels. Philo is a channel.Netflix is a channel. Hulu is a channel. The issue you are having is with the Philo channel on your Roku device. Roku does not make the Philo channel. Philo does. If a recent Roku OS update changed how Philo works that is not Roku's issue. It is Philo. They need to update the channel. This goes for any device. When Apple releases a new version of iOS and something like Facebook no longer works right the problem is not cause Apple updated their OS. The problem is with Meta and they need to update the  Facebook app. When Microsoft updates Windows and the next thing you know Google Chrome does not work properly the fault is not with Microsoft it is with Google. Understand? 

ruger1157
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for your responses.

I am starting to understand a little better of what you are saying. It would also have helped if i knew what everything was called that i was trying to describe. i have alot of learning still to do.

I have contacted Philo and now just wait and see.

Regards, Terry

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@ruger1157 

Roku can be quite confusing with their terminology. They call apps "channels" although some apps do have channels, including the Roku Channel (which is an app). And, within the Roku Channel (an app) you can launch channels that actually standalone apps (which Roku calls "channels") and those channels (which are really apps) can contain channels which are channels.

See?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."