Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FahimLolo
Reel Rookie

Casting to Roku Premier from Windows 10 Freezing

I am having ongoing issues casting from my Windows 10 laptop to Roku Premier 4K on Panasonic TV (1080p). Specifically the image freezes on TV every minute or so for a few seconds. Sometimes the audio stops as well. Everything is good on laptop. Eventually it clears up and then repeats ad nauseum. Watching anything is impossible.  I have tried casting from the same computer to directly to a Samsung TV and it works perfectly. Issue is exclusive with Roku

I have tried:

1. restarting all devices including modem
  2. updating all drivers on Windows 10 (all were up to date)
  3. Removing devices from Roku and Windows and adding again
  4. Turning mirroring on and off on Roku
  5. Making sure network is private

Any tips on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Casting to Roku Premier from Windows 10 Freezing

@FahimLolo

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
FahimLolo
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny,

It is plugged into a wall outlet for power.

0 Kudos
JHamrick

Mirroring not working with Windows 10 (firewall issue)

Screen mirroring stopped working from a Windows 10 PC after an update. The "starting video from" message would freeze about a third of the way up the bar and then return to the Roku homescreen. After a ridiculous amount of time spent rebooting/checking updates etc., found a topic that said it might be the firewall - which is controlled on my machine by McAfee.

Turning off the firewall confirmed that was the issue and then resetting the McAfee firewall settings to the defaults and then turning the firewall back on took care of it.  Hope that saves someone else some time.

Tags (1)
nayrtop384
Reel Rookie

Screen mirroring stopped operating from a Windows 10 PC after an update. The "beginning video from" message might freeze approximately a 3rd of the manner up the bar after which return to the Roku website homescreen.

albring
Reel Rookie

mine is doing same thing - did you find resolution?

0 Kudos
Mawcul
Channel Surfer

Re: Mirroring not working with Windows 10 (firewall issue)

Same problem for me with my new Windows 11 laptop. I turned off the McAfee firewall, and bingo! I was able to cast my laptop screen to the Roku and my TV without any problems!

0 Kudos
albring
Reel Rookie

yes I tried that as I saw the post about that earlier and it did not work for me.  Still connects but freezes about 1/3 of the way.  Just wont load

0 Kudos
FahimLolo
Reel Rookie

Since posting this support request 3 weeks ago I have gotten no help after "is your roku plugged into wall" from @RokuDanny-R . I have tried everything under the sun. I even recently tried update to Windows 11 and the problem is worse now.

Note: The casting works perfectly on my Samsung TV (direct to TV cast). But on Roku Premiere it is terrible.

Tried @Mawcul idea to turn off firewall. Did not work either. But thanks for suggestion.

ROKU! PLEASE HELP!

0 Kudos
lisa253
Reel Rookie

This has happened to me twice. The first time after unplugging, waiting, plugging back in, resetting roku and updating then restarting computer it still didnt work. To try to figure out if it was a windows or roku issue, I went and tried to cast from my windows 11 pc to another roku in the house and it worked. This led me to believe it was a roku and not a windows 11 issue. Then I went back to the original room to try My roku again and it worked. Maybe this made it "unstick". Not really sure.

The second time around I tried the same as above and doing this didnt work. Read through thread again realized i had installed Avast which was different than the last time so I ended up turning off the firewall and that worked for me. Good luck!

0 Kudos