Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KosarKid
Reel Rookie

Casting not working at all on Roku Stick

Jump to solution

This problem started today and up until now I have had no issues. None of the apps which I have been casting from(YouTube and Netflix) are showing allowing me to cast. I restarted my router, phone and the Roku stick. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the apps. The YouTube shows the casting symbol but my Roku is not showing as an option, Netflix is not displaying the casting symbol at all. Anyone else experiencing this or have a solution?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Casting not working at all on Roku Stick

Jump to solution

YouTube did release an Android app update in the last 24 hours - that being said, testing (with DIAL casting) I did yesterday and today (with the prior version and the latest version respectively) was consistent and successful from NF/YT on several different devices to several different devices (including several Rokus, LG TVs, FireTV and other Android/Android TV-based devices).

Verify your wireless configuration (2.4 or 5Ghz or both) hasnt changed, etc - try switching either/both the phone and/or the Roku from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz or vice versa and try again.

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

YouTube did release an Android app update in the last 24 hours - that being said, testing (with DIAL casting) I did yesterday and today (with the prior version and the latest version respectively) was consistent and successful from NF/YT on several different devices to several different devices (including several Rokus, LG TVs, FireTV and other Android/Android TV-based devices).

Verify your wireless configuration (2.4 or 5Ghz or both) hasnt changed, etc - try switching either/both the phone and/or the Roku from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz or vice versa and try again.

KosarKid
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I did just get the option between 2G and 5G. Didn’t consider switching back to 2G. I will try it out! I appreciate the response!

0 Kudos
brewaz

Jump to solution

Same issue for me.

0 Kudos
ashbrenp

Jump to solution

We are experiencing the same issue. I used to stream youtube tv, peloton app, truly anything I wanted to Roku streaming sticks and now they don't even show up as an option to cast to. When I use youtube, they're all there and available to ask, but any other app does not even show roku as an option to cast to. Iphone 8+ AND Iphone 12 pro Max

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@ashbrenp wrote:

We are experiencing the same issue. I used to stream youtube tv, peloton app, truly anything I wanted to Roku streaming sticks and now they don't even show up as an option to cast to. When I use youtube, they're all there and available to ask, but any other app does not even show roku as an option to cast to. Iphone 8+ AND Iphone 12 pro Max

There is a difference between "casting" (remote control) and "mirroring" (remote display).

Roku supports the following protocols/standards:

DIAL = casting

Miracast = mirroring

AirPlay2 = casting/mirroring

In terms of app support, NetFlix/YouTube/YouTube TV support DIAL, so you should be able to cast to them from their respective app on any platform.

If the app doesnt have DIAL support (most dont anymore, but instead only support GoogleCast & AirPlay), then you wont be able to cast to them.

Otherwise, you'll need to mirror to the Roku using a Miracast or AirPlay2 (4K models only) compatible app/device.

If you are having trouble either casting or mirroring (e.g. device not showing in the casting/mirroring list), you can:

1) Disable then enable WiFi on the casting/receiving device.

2) Switch bands on the casting/receiving device (switch to 2.4Ghz, or switch to 5Ghz).

3) Restart all devices.

0 Kudos
mplanti

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem. My devices (iPad, iPhone, Roku Streaming Stick), are all on the same WiFi network but, for example, the Netflix app doesn't recognize any devices to cast to. 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Did you try all of the troubleshooting steps previously listed in this thread?

0 Kudos
Jmezaavila

Jump to solution

I have the same problem but is there any video I can see to figure it out because I have three Roku TVs at home and only one is showing up as an option go me to cast to 

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Jmezaavila wrote:

I have the same problem but is there any video I can see to figure it out because I have three Roku TVs at home and only one is showing up as an option go me to cast to 

Not enough info/details - read the previously provided info 3 posts up from yours.

0 Kudos