Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Cannot register a Canadian cable provider during setup

I just purchased Roku Premiere (model 3920CA) through Amazon.ca - which apparently can be used in Canada.

During the setup process, you have the opportunity of entering your cable provider but only U.S. providers are listed.  I need to link my unit to my Canadian cable account - Rogers.

How do I do this if Rogers is not listed?

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Cannot register a Canadian cable provider during setup

I have the same problem but I'm in the US. Our provider is Greenfield Communications which is not an option. I can't complete the setup. Pretty annoying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I'm sorry to hear you are having the same problem.

Mine may be compounded by the fact I own a Roku in my Florida home but the account is under a different email so I don't think there was any confusion in that regard.  I did the setup of my Canadian unit via roku.com/link, using a different email address and my Canadian contact info ... but still had to chose my Canadian cable provider from a menu of U.S. companies - impossible.

Nowhere on the cable supplier menu is a suggestion what to do if your cable company is not listed - very poor support.

I cancelled my U.S. account and tried the Canadian setup via link, again - with no success.

What has been really frustrating is that I have spent hours trying to get support. None of the various "support" databases questions even come close to addressing my problem.  There is no email or chat facility so I thought this community was my last hope - but so far you are the only responder.

If not resolved by the end of this week, I'm returning the unit to amazon.ca (the Canadian arm of amazon.com). Out of the twenty Rokus listed on the Canadian site, there were only five which specifically listed as "not for use in Canada" implying that the one I purchased (Roku Premiere) was OK for Canadian use.

If I cannot resolve this situation I will certainly be giving the product one star as a "confirmed purchaser" and recommending that nobody purchase Roku product for use with a Canadian cable provider, in Canada.

If anybody can point me to real live Roku support, I will be eternally grateful.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Some channels don't function the same in different locations. What is available in the US might not be in Canada. As to Amazon, they control what works in the channel in what location. They are also tied to the country the Roku user account was created in, so an account created in the US won't always offer content based on your current location. And a US box in a different country might not work at all, depending on the permissions of the individual channel.

A Roku device will work anywhere. But each individual channel is permitted to be geo-restricted, both by account location and player location. 

Bottom line, if you are in Canada, and your user account was created while located in Canada (and a VPN wasn't being used, which can mess everything up), then if the channel isn't offering what you believe should be available you need to contact the channel provider. That's Amazon for Prime Video.

It's entirely possible that Amazon might not offer the ability to link with Canadian TV providers. I have no idea if they do or don't, so don't take that as a factual statement. Simply one possibility. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Dear atc98092,

Thanks for your detailed reply but you may have misunderstood my problem.  Amazon has nothing to do with my situation - it's mentioned only because that's where I purchased my Roku Premiere.

The Roku setup issue that I'm attempting to solve is that when following the browser procedure on www.roku.com/link, the website only provides a menu of U.S. cable providers (Verizon, Comcast, Spectrum, etc) to enable you to link your cable provider to Roku. 

I use the large Canadian cable provider - Rogers Communications - and the link procedure does not provide a way of linking to any of the major Canadian cable providers such as Bell, Rogers Communications, Shaw Cable, etc.

I'm going to try one last fix.  I will cancel my two accounts on Roku.com - wait 24 hours (to ensure the Roku database has dropped my accounts) and then establish a new Canadian account with no data related to my U.S. address or bank account. Then I will attempt to reinstall the new Roku Premiere and use www.Roku.com/link to register my Canadian cable provider.

If this doesn't solve the problem and unless I can get to a "live" Roku support person via email or chat, I will have no option than return the unit to Amazon.ca (the Canadian division of Amazon.com), for a refund.  A shame since I suspect the unit could be very useful to me if I could access my Canadian cable provider through its menus.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought this Roku community was a way of reaching Roku Support when none of the install problem responses referenced in the Roku database, address a problem.

Dave.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Hi Dave.

Perhaps I did misread part of your issue. I'm old enough to admit I don't always get the clear picture at first. Smiley Very Happy

But I don't understand what a TV provider has to do with linking a new Roku device to your user account. I don't have any provider myself (OTA and streaming only), but I don't ever remember the link page asking for a TV provider. Unless it has something to do with a specific channel to be authorized, a Roku player has no need to know what, if any, TV provider you have. 

So it's the link page itself asking for that information, and not paired to an authorization to use a channel that requires a TV provider login?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi again,

I may be a bit older thgan you - yesterday was the nineteenth anniversary of my 16th birthday Smiley Happy

Coming back to the linking of a cable channel provider to a Roku ... it's part of the setup procedure when continuing the installation using a web browser at www.roku.com/link.

For example, four years ago I purchased a Roku for my home in Florida and when setting it up, I chose Spectrum (then Brighthouse) from the cable provider menu and linked the device accordingly.  The Roku was installed on my bedroom TV and the Spectrum settop box was attached to the TV in the bedroom.

This linked provided me with a "Spectrum box" on my bedroom Roku display, which enabled me to view and chose a Spectrum cable channel to watch.

My problem is I cannot do the same type of setup on my recently purchased Canadian Roku Premiere where I want to link our cable provider Rogers, to avoid purchasing a separate settop box.

The REAL PROBLEM comes down to the fact that none of the many FAQs and solutions on the Roku website cover this situation.  Can anybody let me know how I can talk or contact (email or chat) to a real live Roku support person to resolve this situation.

Dave     

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

@i75Dave wrote:

Hi again,

I may be a bit older thgan you - yesterday was the nineteenth anniversary of my 16th birthday Smiley Happy

Coming back to the linking of a cable channel provider to a Roku ... it's part of the setup procedure when continuing the installation using a web browser at www.roku.com/link.

For example, four years ago I purchased a Roku for my home in Florida and when setting it up, I chose Spectrum (then Brighthouse) from the cable provider menu and linked the device accordingly.  The Roku was installed on my bedroom TV and the Spectrum settop box was attached to the TV in the bedroom.

This linked provided me with a "Spectrum box" on my bedroom Roku display, which enabled me to view and chose a Spectrum cable channel to watch.

My problem is I cannot do the same type of setup on my recently purchased Canadian Roku Premiere where I want to link our cable provider Rogers, to avoid purchasing a separate settop box.

The REAL PROBLEM comes down to the fact that none of the many FAQs and solutions on the Roku website cover this situation.  Can anybody let me know how I can talk or contact (email or chat) to a real live Roku support person to resolve this situation.

Dave     

Well, if I calculated correctly, this year will be my 49th anniversary of my 16th birthday. Smiley Very Happy

Perhaps @RokuTannerD can offer an idea here. I did link a new Ultra a few months back, and I don't ever being asked about a TV provider. 

Dan
0 Kudos