Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrozenTully
Level 7

Cannot connect PC to Roku - Screen Mirroring Troubleshooting

I have a PC running Windows 10 OS and a Roku 3900X Express. I would like to mirror my PC screen to the Roku but am unable to connect the 2 devices. From my PC, I can see the Roku and attempt to connect but after a a few seconds it states that it was unable to connect. On the Roku side, I never see any prompt or notification that my PC is trying to connect.

I've looked up several troubleshooting guides and done the following:

• DxDiag - confirmed Miracast enabled
  • Updated network drivers
  • Factory Reset Roku
  • Checked for Roku System Update
  • Reset Internet connection
  • Tried various setting configurations (screen mirroring prompt/always allow and device connection default/permissive)
  • Turned off PC firewalls and attempted to connect
  • Enabled wireless display from projection settings from the PC
  • Enabled Shared Experiences settings from the PC
  • Added Roku device from device manager
  • Uninstalled and updated monitor and miracast drivers

Nothing seems to work. Does anybody have any suggestions for how I can fix this? As an aside, I have the Roku app installed on my phone and it can connect to the Roku with no issues.
Roku Express (3900 series)  

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
StreamerUser
Level 16

Re: Cannot connect PC to Roku - Screen Mirroring Troubleshooting

Make sure your 3900 has a build of 9.4.0 firmware (9.3.0 had Miracast bugs when connected to 2.4Ghz SSIDs).

Put the Roku into "Prompt" mode (and leave it there). 

Make sure no devices are in the Blocked devices list.

Verify screen mirroring is working properly on your Roku with an Android device w/Miracast mirroring support.

Try switching your W10 PC to 2.4Ghz, or 5Ghz if its on 2.4Ghz.

0 Kudos
FrozenTully
Level 7

I confirmed my Roku is using build 9.4.0 and that there are no blocked devices, and set mirror screening to prompt. I also verified screen mirroring worked with my Android device.

Switched PC connection from 5.0GHz band 2.4GHz .

Still no prompt received on the Roku side.

You brought up a good point though and I discovered that my 3900X is not compatible with the 5.0GHz band. My PC tower is plugged in via ethernet but I tried a few different configurations of WiFi only (both bands, then one or the other), Ethernet only, and a combination of the above. None of them were recognized by the Roku device. My Android device that I can mirror is a Google Pixel phone and is connected via the 5G network. I'm not sure how I can cast from that to the Roku on 5G but my PC cannot connect to the Roku no matter the configuration.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
Sidhess
Level 7

I did the same as @FrozenTully  and was also unsuccessful in mirroring from TV.

0 Kudos
Sidhess
Level 7

Roku wouldn't provide agent help and referred me to this community help.  No success here either.  But Microsoft Troubleshooting page offered 10 Solutions - I tried all; none worked. The last solution said if still not solved, reach out to Microsoft.

I spent 3 hours on phone with their reps before they finally worked out the fix. All's working nolw.

They were going to reach out to @FrozenTully and offer same help to him.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 16

@Sidhess wrote:

Roku wouldn't provide agent help and referred me to this community help.  No success here either.  But Microsoft Troubleshooting page offered 10 Solutions - I tried all; none worked. The last solution said if still not solved, reach out to Microsoft.

I spent 3 hours on phone with their reps before they finally worked out the fix. All's working nolw.

They were going to reach out to @FrozenTully and offer same help to him.

Might be worthwhile and helpful to post the/your solution here so that others can find it (yes, not all problems are exactly identical, but others searching for solutions may find it and it would save them time and trouble).

0 Kudos