Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flipschitz
Level 7

Can't screen mirror from Windows 10 laptop to Roku Streaming Stick+

New member here and I couldn't find a current post about this issue so I apologize if I overlooked something.

I have a Dell laptop running Windows 10 Home (Version 1803 Build 17134.228) and I'm trying to screen mirror to my Roku Streaming Stick+ Model 3810 on my Vizio Smart TV.  My laptop can see the Roku streaming stick but when I try to connect it gives me an error message "couldn't connect".  I went through the steps as shown in https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/windows-10-cast-to-device-not-working-solved as well as updating drivers and checking settings in both Windows and Roku.  I've enabled the screen mirroring mode on Roku to 'always allow' and Roku is running the most recent Version 8.1.0 Build 4155.  I am able to mirror my Android smart phone to the Roku as well as mirror my laptop to my old Roku 3 on another television.  All devices are on the same network.

Anybody familiar with issues mirroring with the Roku Streaming Stick+ Model 3810 from Windows 10?  I'm open to any and all suggestions as I've exhausted all efforts to fix this. :?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Can't screen mirror from Windows 10 laptop to Roku Streaming Stick+

Windows support something called Miracast, (typo in my original post) which has specific hardware requirements on the computer. Very few computers actually meet those requirements, and although they can see the Roku they can't cast to it. As you noted, Android devices are the ones that seem to work best, as iOS devices can't cast either. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
flipschitz
Level 7

In Device Manager, Miracast is configured for my Roku Player but for the Roku Streaming Stick+, the event log shows that it 'wasn't migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.'  Now trying to find a solution for this.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Just trying to level your expectations. Very few people have successfully mirrored a Windows PC to a Roku player. Android, no problem. No idea why it doesn't play nice, but from what I've read on other forums, Windows just isn't very successful with Miracast, regardless of the target platform. But I wish you the best of luck.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
flipschitz
Level 7

Thanks for the response.  Had no problem mirroring with the Roku 3 last night but no luck with the streaming stick.  I was able to delete and reinstall the stick successfully in Windows without the migration error and Windows sees the streaming stick but can't connect.
0 Kudos
zafarma
Level 7

Wonder if this conversation is still active.
I have a ACER SP513-52n with windows 10 Home.
I have been able to mirror to a Roku 3 without any difficulty. However recently I bought a Roku Ultra and have problems mirroring the laptop to it. When I go to the Action Center >> Connect the Roku Ultra is visible as is the Roku 3. I select the Roku Ultra and get a "Connecting --- Follow any instructions on your device message" and after about 15 seconds get "The device couldn't connect".
The Roku" pears do not show up at all (as they do when connecting to Roku 3). All permissions on the PC and the Roku Ultra are as suggested.
My display and other drivers show as up to date. Has some protocol on Roku Ultra changed that is preventing the connection?
Thanks 
0 Kudos
flipschitz
Level 7

"zafarma" wrote:
Wonder if this conversation is still active.
I have a ACER SP513-52n with windows 10 Home.
I have been able to mirror to a Roku 3 without any difficulty. However recently I bought a Roku Ultra and have problems mirroring the laptop to it. When I go to the Action Center >> Connect the Roku Ultra is visible as is the Roku 3. I select the Roku Ultra and get a "Connecting --- Follow any instructions on your device message" and after about 15 seconds get "The device couldn't connect".
The Roku" pears do not show up at all (as they do when connecting to Roku 3). All permissions on the PC and the Roku Ultra are as suggested.
My display and other drivers show as up to date. Has some protocol on Roku Ultra changed that is preventing the connection?
Thanks 

I had the same results as you.  I gave up trying to mirror to the streaming stick as I've been unable to find any fixes/suggestions on the web that work.  EDITED: My Android phone can connect to the newer Roku but not my Windows 10 laptop.  They both find my Roku 3 with no problem.  That leads me to believe that there is something in the newer Roku products that doesn't play well with Miracast. 
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 7

I have a Roku Ultra 4640 and am able to mirror my Windows 10 desktop to it.  However, the Miracast connection almost always fails on the first try.  In order to get it to connect, I have to toggle my PC's wifi off and then back on.  It will usually then work, but sometimes more attempts at connecting may be necessary.  I should note that my PC is in a different room than my Roku so there is no line of sight to the Roku.  That could be the reason why establishing the initial connection can be problematic for me.

In the past, after having successfully mirrored to the Roku, the mirrored desktop would freeze or the connection would drop after a while, and there would frequently be audio problems.  To try to obtain a more stable connection, I made some changes to my wireless adapter's advanced settings.  Basically, I changed the settings so the 2.4ghz band would be preferred, a 20mhz wide channel would be used (to avoid interference with a neighboring wireless node on the same channel) and throughput booster was enabled.  Doing so seemed to provided a more stable connection.

However, I noticed the connection would still freeze occasionally when I was using a bluetooth device.  Using a different bluetooth adapter eliminated that remaining interference issue.  Again, I'm dealing with a no line of sight setup, so that could why some of the changes I made worked for me.  It's definitely taken quite a bit of time for me to establish a stable connection on my Roku Ultra.  It sounds like if I had a Roku 3, it might have been much easier.
0 Kudos
haptad
Level 7

I had a similar issue streaming to an older Roku stick (bought in 2015) from a Windows 8.1 laptop - even though I had successfully streamed from it before. The laptop could see the stick but not connect to it. Various resets/reboots made no difference. But this worked:

Try going to Settings->System->Advanced system settings->network connection reset->Reset connection

to reset the connection to the router. You'll have to re-enter your router password.
0 Kudos
flipschitz
Level 7

"haptad" wrote:
I had a similar issue streaming to an older Roku stick (bought in 2015) from a Windows 8.1 laptop - even though I had successfully streamed from it before. The laptop could see the stick but not connect to it. Various resets/reboots made no difference. But this worked:

Try going to Settings->System->Advanced system settings->network connection reset->Reset connection

to reset the connection to the router. You'll have to re-enter your router password.

I did that but it didn't help.
0 Kudos