Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Can't relink Roku 3 after unlinking from account and Factory reset

Jump to solution

Over the years I have installed a total of 5 Rokus on my Roku account.  Two of them, an old Roku 2 XD (3050) and a Roku 3 (4200) have been taken out of service and unlinked via my Roku account at my.roku.com.

After I unlinked the Roku 3, I performed a Factory reset on it to wipe it clean.

Now I am attempting to re-install the Roku 3 but the linking process fails, telling me I have reached my limit of 20 installed devices, although I've only ever linked a total of 5 devices.  I recall I did have to do a Factory Reset and relink my Stick+ a while ago, so that may have been counted as a 6th installation (?) but still this is nowhere near 20.  The only CURRENTLY linked devices shown on my account are the three shown in my signature, below.

My reason for relinking was to assure myself everything works okay before wiping it again and giving it to a relative who already has a Roku account with two devices linked to it.  Now I'm concerned that he would not be able to link it either.

@RokuDanny-R - is this a problem with this Roku 3, or is it with my account?  Either way, is this something that can be reset at your end?  I'll PM you my Roku account info.

Roku 3 particulars:

Roku3.jpg

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
makaiguy

Re: Can't relink Roku 3 after unlinking from account and Factory reset

Jump to solution

To bring some closure:

@RokuDanny-Rforwarded my issue on to the support group.  In an email they confirmed there were only 3 devices shown as linked to my account.  They requested me to wipe the Roku 3 clean via another Factory reset, and attempt to link it to a different Roku account, to see if the problem was with the device or my account.  As requested, I did the following:

• Performed a Factory Reset via the reset button.
  • Set it up, linking it to a new Roku account created for the purpose.
  • It linked without difficulty.

With this under my belt I did the following:

• Again performed a Factory Reset.
  • Set it up, linking it to my normal Roku account.
  • It again linked without difficulty.

So it appears the previous incident when it told me I could not link to my account because I had reached my 20 device limit was a fluke of some sort.   I went back into the new Roku account and discontinued it.

My relative is about to get a "new" Roku 3.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
DBDukes

Jump to solution

Since 2010, when I got my first Roku, I've set up more than 20 different ones on my account, if you count removing and re-adding the same device. So, if this is a new limit, I'm about to be in trouble. 

I don't really have anything to offer, but I'm very interested in this one.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
makaiguy

Jump to solution

To bring some closure:

@RokuDanny-Rforwarded my issue on to the support group.  In an email they confirmed there were only 3 devices shown as linked to my account.  They requested me to wipe the Roku 3 clean via another Factory reset, and attempt to link it to a different Roku account, to see if the problem was with the device or my account.  As requested, I did the following:

• Performed a Factory Reset via the reset button.
  • Set it up, linking it to a new Roku account created for the purpose.
  • It linked without difficulty.

With this under my belt I did the following:

• Again performed a Factory Reset.
  • Set it up, linking it to my normal Roku account.
  • It again linked without difficulty.

So it appears the previous incident when it told me I could not link to my account because I had reached my 20 device limit was a fluke of some sort.   I went back into the new Roku account and discontinued it.

My relative is about to get a "new" Roku 3.

0 Kudos