Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cielbleu

Can't install Disney Plus channel in Hong Kong

I am using the latest Roku model - Roku® Streaming Stick® 4K in Hong Kong. However I cannot search and install Disney Plus. Anyone may suggest what I can do? Thank you so much.

13 REPLIES 13
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't install Disney Plus channel in Hong Kong

Roku isn't supported there and Disney hasn't made Disney Plus available on Roku in unsupported regions.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
stephenksf

Disney Plus is now launched in Hong Kong region. Can Roku make Disney Plus channel downloadable in Hong Kong?

renojim

Disney has to make it available ON ROKU.  There's nothing Roku can do about it.  It's the channel/app developers (which in almost all cases isn't Roku) that set the available regions for their own channels/apps, not Roku.

Choi
Reel Rookie

Is this really an issue with Disney Plus, not Roku? I bought the Roku stick just to watch Disney in HK but now it is useless to me...

renojim

I've explained it multiple times, but I'll do it again.  When a developer publishes a channel he's presented with a list of all the regions of the world supported by Roku and has to check off every region he'd like the channel to be available.  Hong Kong is not one of those regions.  There's one catch-all region called "Rest of World".  Clearly Disney has not checked that box.  Roku isn't going to do it for them.

Choi
Reel Rookie

Thanks for your explanation. I'm not sure if you are an employee of Roku, however, such oversight from Disney has impacted Roku users. I guess it is also the best interest of Roku to help check this "Rest of the World" option. If there is no solution for this, I will have to return this Roku stick to Amazon.

renojim

@Choi, I am not a Roku employee (it states as much in my signature), but I have done a bit of Roku development.

0 Kudos

Is it possible to make it available in Hong Kong? Thanks 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jjoseph0x01,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Channels are developed by each service provider themselves. You'll want to contact Disney Plus support to see if they have any plans to develop and offer a channel for their service on the Roku platform in your region.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator