Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Can't connect smartphone to Roku Express

I'm trying to connect my Android phone to my Roku Express and even though we're on the same network, the IP address shown on the Roku under 'about' is SLIGHTLY different from the IP address listed on my phone but it really is the same **bleep** network. Idk what to do, please help.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Can't connect smartphone to Roku Express

Give us more information on "Slightly Different".  Don't worry about giving us internal IP addresses like a 192.168.x.x or a 10.x.x.x there's nothing people can really do with internal addresses.  What is the Phone's address and what is the Roku's address?

Depending on where the addresses are "slightly" different they may not be able to talk to each other.  Also you should check your router settings for any options that may prevent wireless devices from talking to each other.  This is sometimes a security measure to prevent guest devices from talking to your personal network devices.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Can't connect smartphone to Roku Express

@AudreyElena wrote:

... the IP address shown on the Roku under 'about' is SLIGHTLY different from the IP address listed on my phone ...

What needs to be identical is the local network name (SSID).  The numerical IP address is what identifies where each packet of data passed along your network is supposed to go, so each device connected to the local network must have its own unique IP address.  Typically, addresses on the same local network will only differ in the number following the last period.  It's sort of like the house numbers along a common street - the mail truck going down the street carries all the mail, but just drops each piece of mail in the mailbox with the corresponding house number.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos