Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bwanamatt

Can't change start up channel

Whenever I start up my Roku Ultra, it defaults to Netflix.  I'd rather it default to the home screen or to a different channel, but can't find any setting to do so.

0 Kudos
32 REPLIES 32
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can't change start up channel

@bwanamatt wrote:

Whenever I start up my Roku Ultra, it defaults to Netflix.  I'd rather it default to the home screen or to a different channel, but can't find any setting to do so.

I've never seen any setting to go directly into a particular channel/app. That sounds like something is haywire in the system settings. Before doing something drastic like a factory reset, try removing the Netflix channel. When you are on the home screen, move to the Netflix icon and hit the * button and select uninstall. After you do that, you have to reboot the Roku, either by using Restart in the settings menu or pulling the power for 10 seconds. If it reboots to the home screen, then install Netflix again and see if it's behaving now. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Straker16
Channel Surfer

Actually, there was a way to set the start up channel/app, but now I can't find it.  I used to have One America News as my start up channel, then changed it to the Youtube tv app, but now would like to have it just go to home screen initially, but can't find the setting for it now.  

Is it another very useful feature once again lost in some wonderful "update?"

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Straker16 wrote:

Actually, there was a way to set the start up channel/app, but now I can't find it.  I used to have One America News as my start up channel, then changed it to the Youtube tv app, but now would like to have it just go to home screen initially, but can't find the setting for it now.  

Is it another very useful feature once again lost in some wonderful "update?"

I've never seen any such function, and I've owned Roku players for over 8 years. Are you certain it was a Roku? Are you certain it was auto-starting a channel, and not a default channel within another app, such as YouTube TV?

Dan

0 Kudos
Straker16
Channel Surfer

It was definitely on my Roku, but it wasn't actually going to a specific channel within an app, but to a default start up app.  As I said, I had it set to start up onto the OAN app, now it's set to start on Youtube tv.

0 Kudos
Straker16
Channel Surfer

Perhaps it was set via my universal remote?  I guess I have some investigating to do.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Straker16 wrote:

Perhaps it was set via my universal remote?  I guess I have some investigating to do.

Yeah, that's a distinct possibility. 😄

Dan

0 Kudos
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same exact issue

0 Kudos
atc98092

@5567 wrote:

I’m having the same exact issue

You can't come into a conversation without adding sufficient detail. What exactly are you trying to do? What is the model Roku you have? 

Dan

0 Kudos
Straker16
Channel Surfer

Well pardon me for not meeting your standards of detail before daring to post.  You don’t seem to provide much detail yourself?

i have a Roku stick+ in my Sony Bravia, and a Harmony One hub remote system.  As I posted, it had slipped my mind that the start up channel configuration was a Harmony universal remote function, not an available Roku setting. 
Hope that helps. 

0 Kudos