Roku mobile app

Discover troubleshooting and helpful tips for the Roku mobile app. Learn how to use the Roku remote on your phone, add channels, privately listen, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_R1
Binge Watcher

Can't cast to Roku device from a phone

I have a Roku Express+ hooked up to a CRT TV. I only use the Roku device for one purpose: to cast videos from my phone to the TV. Tried it for the first time in quite a while today, and the official Roku app just keeps showing a spinning purple circle while the movie never starts playing on the TV. Tried the third-party Castify app, which I've used without problem before, and it keeps giving me an error and says it's probably a "network issue". I then noticed that my Roku device kept losing connection to wifi even though other devices in my house stayed connected to wifi just fine. I would try to connect and get error 014.30, which I found points to a weak wifi signal. But I tested my wifi signal and it is strong. Sometimes, I'd get it to connect, but it would disconnect again not long after. I reset both the router and the Roku device to no avail. I even did a factory reset of the device (which caused problems as it was difficult to connect to wifi for the set-up process), but still have problems. I followed the advice found in the following posts --

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Roku-suddenly-won-t-connect-to-wifi...

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Error-code-14-30-But-Internet-Conne...

--and so far my device has stayed connected for the longest period yet (though some who've responded to the second link have said that their devices later lost connection again), I still can't cast to the device with either the official app or the Castify app. I've even tried on two different phones just to be sure it's not a problem with the first phone.

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Can't cast to Roku device from a phone

You didnt mention your Roku model # and firmware version: Settings/System/About

(There are multiple Express+ models, and 2 with Composite output).

In general, the official Roku Remote (mobile app) has to be on the same network as the Roku to be able to connect/control the Roku.  If the Roku is having connectivity issues in general, so will the app to the Roku.

Make sure your Roku has consistent connectivity first.

Your Roku is likely subject to recent issues preventing app loading for other similar models.

Try:

1) Restart Roku:  Settings/System/System restart/Restart

2) Check for updates:  Settings/System/System update/Check now

3) Restore default theme:  Settings/Theme/Restore default theme

4) Simplify screensaver:  Settings/Theme/Screensavers/Roku digital Clock/Set as screensaver

5)  Attempt to cast (pictures/audio/video) from mobile app.

0 Kudos
Mike_R1
Binge Watcher

@StreamerUser 

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, while the Roku device still appears to be maintaining a connection, I cannot cast from the phone to the device. (I did make sure they were on the same network.) I also checked for a software update, but it said I was already up to date.

Device info:

Model number: 3910RW - Express+

Software version: 10.0.0 Build: 4209-51

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Mike_R1 

Did you follow the 5 steps?

0 Kudos
Mike_R1
Binge Watcher

@StreamerUser 

Yes. Sorry, I should've made that clear.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Can you cast the NetFlix or YouTube apps?

What happens when you screen mirror (Miracast) from your phone?

0 Kudos
Mike_R1
Binge Watcher

@StreamerUser 

I had a little trouble, but I was able to get both a YT video and a Netflix movie to cast to Roku. Tried a few different videos that were stored locally on my phone and they still won't work. I can't figure out how to do the screen mirroring with my phone. I looked for the things mentioned on this page --

https://support.roku.com/article/208754928

--and I did find a "cast" setting , but it said it couldn't find any nearby devices.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Miracast support depends on the brand/model of your Android phone - in general, Android deprecates Miracast support since 6.0 (in favor of GoogleCast/ChromeCast), though manufacturers can/do re-enable it or add it back, depending (e.g. Samsung's SmartView).

Even if your phone lacks Miracast support, there are apps that are Miracast-enabled that you can install/use.

The "Cast" setting of your phone is probably GoogleCast/ChromeCast, but you'll need to check its specs.

Regardless, DIAL-based casting is working - the Roku mobile app uses Play-On-Roku/ECP, which are Roku's casting protocols.

Try toggling Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Control by mobile apps to disabled, then back to default, and see if it makes any difference.

0 Kudos
Mike_R1
Binge Watcher

@StreamerUser 

Hello again. I toggled "control by mobile apps" to disabled and back to default, but still no luck. I tried  one of the miracast apps I found in the Play Store a bit earlier (don't remember which, but I picked one that had a lot of downloads) and it couldn't find a "nearby device". I'll have to try a few different ones tomorrow and see if one will work. I'll come back tomorrow either way to report.

After some googling, I was able to figure out how to mirror my PC on the Roku device, and I thought I'd found a workaround, but unfortunately the video started stuttering pretty badly very soon after it started playing, making it unwatchable.

I've tested my wifi with with an app several times, and the speed looks good. Also,  Roku itself tells me that the signal strength is "excellent". It just seems like the Fates themselves are against me. With my luck, I'm not surprised. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Mike_R1 

If you havent already restarted all of your devices (Roku/networking/phone) you should do so.

You might want to revisit the networking side of things:  Verify (manually configure your modem/router/gateway) the 2.4Ghz SSID is on channels 1, 6, or 11, using a 20Mhz width, and using "B/G/N" (try just "G/N" mode if "B/G/N" mode is unstable) for this.

FYI, there are behavioral/performance differences between HDMI mode and composite mode as well.

Otherwise, you might consider a Factory Reset (this solved/cleared several annoying app-related issues in Composite output mode I was having with my 3910).

0 Kudos