Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Can't activate tv subscription apps with roku 3. Free apps work fine. Is it my Roku or?

Hi:

I'm receiving error codes when trying to activate tv subscription apps FXNOW, History App, AMC, MTV, HBONow etc.  Each app error message states I need to subscribe to Spectrum.  Spectrum is my cable provider. The common error code I see is 012-1206-403.  My roku states that the software is up to date.  Does anyone know if this is a ROKU error code or should I insist that Spectrum try to resolve this issue.   

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Can't activate tv subscription apps with roku 3. Free apps work fine. Is it my Roku or?

Many channels are only available if you have valid cable subscription that includes that channel/ app. There are some you purchase separately without a cable subscription. But none of the ones you list are free without cable credentials or direct purchase of the channel subscription. Sorry.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Can't activate tv subscription apps with roku 3. Free apps work fine. Is it my Roku or?

I have a cable subscription with Spectrum.  Fully paid for.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

All of the apps I have listed are channels that I have paid for through Spectrum.  Sorry about the confusion.

Frustrated because Spectrum hasn't come up with a solution.  Thinking about buy an Apple TV box to see if that will work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

To clarify I have a cable subscription and a cable box at another home that is working correctly. I am using the roku box at another address using a  spectrum internet connection that I have also paid for.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

They're not going to allow access to channels outside the home. You having the internet from them in second home doesn't matter, they know  and are stopping it from working. Cut the cord, buy the subscriptions direct from the services, then you can have them in both places.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

If that were the case, I wouldn't be here.  They were working fine until this month.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@jflynn 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend reaching out to Spectrum regarding this error code as this is an authorization error. 

You can reach Spectrum here: https://www.spectrum.net/contact-us/

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 16

You're paying for internet at this location , but are you subscribing to Spectrum cable tv there?  If not, you're not paying for streaming access to those cable stations there.

Sounds like Spectrum just figured out what you were doing and shut you down.  Maybe they just started checking for this.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Spoke to spectrum apps department.  When spectrum removed the advertising screen off of my link to live tv on their account web page I was able to activate an app.  However, when I tried to activate a second app I logged back into the spectrum account and the splash screen (advertisement for (GUESS WHAT..paid subscription to these apps) appeared again. That might be a coincidence as obviously I am not a programmer.  She stated some jumbled message about the ROKU having a memory and it was somehow to blame for my failure to re-activate these apps and there is nothing I can do about it.  She also mentioned that it wasn't helping that I had spectrum internet service in both locations. The second sentence seemed more honest.  Seems incredibly suspicious where they placed the $15.00 a month advertising page for apps (for apps that I once was able to activate individually for free).  

0 Kudos