Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IIISTARGATEIII
Channel Surfer

Re: Can roku stay on without timing out. Can you keep it on all the time. Maybe a timer off

Jump to solution

NOT true. Changing the bandwidth to "off" does not prevent RoKu from timing out. It could be another app doing it (Sling, Tubi, etc... perhaps). What I do know is that it's not the bandwidth setting in RoKu. I set the bandwidth to "off" and it still does it.

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can roku stay on without timing out. Can you keep it on all the time. Maybe a timer off

Jump to solution

@IIISTARGATEIII wrote:

NOT true. Changing the bandwidth to "off" does not prevent Roku from timing out. It could be another app doing it (Sling, Tubi, etc... perhaps). What I do know is that it's not the bandwidth setting in Roku. I set the bandwidth to "off" and it still does it.

It is true. Not all channels use that setting, instead having their own internal timer. Roku can't override the channel actions. As you mentioned, it is something within the channel itself. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
cobceo

Jump to solution

I am having this same issue. I am watching a video on YT and leave the room for ten minutes. When I come back, my paused video is gone and the home screen is there. If I don't notice and press the action button, a channel I don't want begins to download so I click home quickly to stop it. Is this a funds oriented action? Does roku get paid when people click a channel to download it without meaning to?

I cannot tell you how annoying it is! I have a roku on every tv on the property, 8 tvs. I move from room to room as I do housework and have a different thing on each tv frequently. I pause when I leave the room and turn it back on when I come back to that room to change the sheets or whatever. I can understand if I am gone for a long time, but when I am only out of the room long enough to go to the bathroom, that is a ridiculously short time out! 

Please fix this issue!

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@cobceo wrote:

I am having this same issue. I am watching a video on YT and leave the room for ten minutes. When I come back, my paused video is gone and the home screen is there. If I don't notice and press the action button, a channel I don't want begins to download so I click home quickly to stop it. Is this a funds oriented action? Does roku get paid when people click a channel to download it without meaning to?

This is a different issue than what this thread is about. You are talking about the screensaver activating, and the YouTube channel (not Roku), is kicking you back to the previous screen. Yes, some screensavers have an ad contained within them for different channels. 

You have several options. First, you can select a different screensaver that doesn't contain ads. You can set a longer time period before the SS kicks in, up to 30 minutes. You can also disable the SS completely. The settings are under Settings/Theme. Finally, just remember to always use either the Home or Back button if there is a SS displayed on the screen. That way you'll never trigger a channel install from an ad on the SS. It's proper device use to only use those two buttons to exit a screensaver.

It's not Roku that takes you back to the main view if the screensaver kicks in. That's a function contained within the YouTube channel. You'd have to ask Google why they have that happen. Other channels don't do that when the SS kicks in, so it's something programmed within YouTube.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
Swear
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I turned off the bandwidth saver and now my device turns off without asking every 4 hours is there a way to fix this issue on my end or is it something that your company messed up and has to fix it on yours.  If I want my device to turn off I will turn it off, I need it to stay on for my disabled dad that can't use a remote to turn it back on after it turned itself off this issue is extremely annoying and needs to be fixed I'm about ready to try a different brand that works like it's supposed to and deal with getting all my apps setup on it. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Swear

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Swear
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the roku express model 3930X

Software version 11.0.0 build 4193-AE

And all did was turn off the bandwidth saver for it to start this so instead of asking if I'm still watching it pops up with the roku name with the bouncing letters as it shuts down every 4 hours without asking if I'm watching and want to keep it on and it doesn't matter what app I'm watching it happens even with the roku channels app at first I thought it might have been the apps timing out but I've looked through them and turned off any that did have a timer and it's not them it's the device doing it. 

I'm hoping that's what you needed to know if there's anything else please let me know I would really like to have this fixed, all I wanted was for the device to stay on until my dad or I wanted to turn it off and with my dad he wants it on all the time and from what I was able to find everywhere is that turning off the bandwidth saver was supposed to do that but for some it's doing what's happening to me it's turning off without asking after turning off the bandwidth saver. 

Thank you for looking in to this and trying to fix the issue and hopefully your company can fix it soon. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Swear

Thanks for the post.

Have you recently checked to confirm that the bandwidth saver is indeed still turned off?

If you are unable to resolve the issue, can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs or after you've turned your device back on from when it occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Chadspeer

Jump to solution

Thanks, Dan.  This behavior was very frustrating.  All better now.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I agree! I think it MUST be some Roku issue, because my tv is turned off in 30 min or less if I don't use the remote during that time! VERY frustrating!