Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can roku stay on without timing out. Can you keep it on all the time. Maybe a timer off

Jump to solution
Can you keep roku on all the time. So it don't time out. So it don't keep going too home screen. Maybe a timer
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can roku stay on without timing out. Can you keep it on all the time. Maybe a timer off

Jump to solution

If you have software version 9.2, a new feature was added that will stop playback after four hours if the remote isn't used. It is enabled by default, but can be turned on in the Network settings menu. They call it Bandwidth Saver. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
atc98092

Re: Can roku stay on without timing out. Can you keep it on all the time. Maybe a timer off

Jump to solution

If you have software version 9.2, a new feature was added that will stop playback after four hours if the remote isn't used. It is enabled by default, but can be turned on in the Network settings menu. They call it Bandwidth Saver. 

Dan

DCorwin

Jump to solution

Changing my bandwidth setting did NOT eliminate the time out.  What now??

novabagel

Jump to solution

I agree-turning the bandwidth saver off did not stop return to the home screen. I would like the app I select to continue running as long as I want. Is there any way to do this?

atc98092

Jump to solution

@novabagel wrote:

I agree-turning the bandwidth saver off did not stop return to the home screen. I would like the app I select to continue running as long as I want. Is there any way to do this?

Some apps/channels have their own limits on continuous playback. No, you have no control over them. If they have limits without use of the remote, Roku can't over-ride it. 

Dan

0 Kudos
jmsg67

Jump to solution

I have a Roku TV, checked the Network Bandwidth saver and it is set to off, but my system times out not after 4 hours as suggested on the response, but after minutes of pausing any streaming, on youtube for instance might pause streaming to have lunch and when I come back just under 30 minutes latter it would be on the screen saver and if I had anything on the queue it be gone.

Any other settings I could change?

atc98092

Jump to solution

@jmsg67 wrote:

I have a Roku TV, checked the Network Bandwidth saver and it is set to off, but my system times out not after 4 hours as suggested on the response, but after minutes of pausing any streaming, on youtube for instance might pause streaming to have lunch and when I come back just under 30 minutes latter it would be on the screen saver and if I had anything on the queue it be gone.

Any other settings I could change?

At least with YouTube, it's not a Roku-specific issue. On my Shield the same thing happens if I leave a video paused long enough to trigger the screensaver. The only possible option would be to disable the screensaver itself. I've never watched anything that would play for over four hours without touching the remote, so no idea if any of mine will play beyond that. 

Dan

0 Kudos
pblanton

Jump to solution

I want this too. I leave the roku playing the news all day while I work, and I don't want it stopping. I keep thinking about bars and restaurants who have their TVs on all day without being touched. Is there a way to do that with Roku?

I'm not talking about a paused channel going to the screensaver or home screen. I'm asking about letting the television just go all day without being touched.

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

@pblanton, make sure "Bandwidth saver" under Settings->Network is disabled.  It's mostly to stop streaming after 4 hours.  Many channels/apps have their own "Are you still watching" prompt.  That's out of Roku's control.  No provider wants to waste resources when no one is watching.  Servers cost money.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
IIISTARGATEIII
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

NOT true. Someone keeps replying the following incorrect information. Quote: "If you have software version 9.2, a new feature was added that will stop playback after four hours if the remote isn't used. It is enabled by default, but can be turned on in the Network settings menu. They call it Bandwidth Saver." --- This is NOT correct information. It does NOT stop RoKu from timing out.