Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thuddwin
Level 7

Can Roku return to, and resume live website after power cycling?

I have a Use Case consisting of many Elderly and the Technically Challenged that want to watch live webcasts from our organization but do not have personal skills that will enable them to do so.  I was hoping to navigate Roku to the website (Youtube) and forget it.  In the event of a power outage to the Roku, that when power is restored, Roku would automatically restore itself to the website and resume playing the webcast, or resume showing the Youtube player in standby which Youtube displays when a webcast isn't streaming yet.

Is this something Roku can do?  I have spent at least a couple of hours Googling, navigating through the Roku menus, etc, and cannot find a clue.  I think it is not possible, therefore, but thought to ask here in the Roku Forum to be sure.  I am using a Roku Express, but am not bound to it if another model will work.

TIA
Thuddwin
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Can Roku return to, and resume live website after power cycling?

I can't think of any streaming device that can do that..

Your best bet night be to configure a laptop to start that YouTube stream upon startup, and set the boot power options to Resume in the laptop's bios.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Thuddwin
Level 7

@jeffrok,
I agree.  Thank you for the confirmation.
Thuddwin
0 Kudos
speechles
Level 9

It's pretty easy to hold the microphone button and speak "Launch Youtube" into the microphone on the remote. Instantly Youtube shows up if it is installed. Not quite that but certainly very very close. Press left(open slide-out sidebar) go to subscriptions(press down once). If they subscribe to your channel on Youtube there it is(press right to get to subscriptions then up/down through them) they go there click "visit channel". Pretty simple and quick.

Copy my text. Give this as "How to find us again after power outages" advice for those with Roku. Make it understandable for them. Dumb down my text above to the simplest terms if you must to make it fully understandable.
0 Kudos
Thuddwin
Level 7

"speechles" wrote:
It's pretty easy to hold the microphone button and speak "Launch Youtube" into the microphone on the remote. Instantly Youtube shows up if it is installed. Not quite that but certainly very very close. Press left(open slide-out sidebar) go to subscriptions(press down once). If they subscribe to your channel on Youtube there it is(press right to get to subscriptions then up/down through them) they go there click "visit channel". Pretty simple and quick.

Copy my text. Give this as "How to find us again after power outages" advice for those with Roku. Make it understandable for them. Dumb down my text above to the simplest terms if you must to make it fully understandable.

Hi Speechless,
Thank you for your reply and help.  
As noted in my Use Cases, my target clients are those lacking personal skills, mentally and/or physically, that prohibits them from undertaking anything more than switching the TV/Display/Monitor input mode, and back.  Even that simple task may have to be performed by a care giver, if one is available when a webcast is about to start.
Ideally, a product that is utlra-simple to setup, and use, with the least amount of interaction (if any) by the client is a requirement that has been proven empirically to be immutable.  To that end, I have created, and am testing a solution for our Use Case.  It can do all of the things required, including resuming stream play when power/internet is lost, and will remember URLs of interest indefinitely.  The app to configure the 'streamer' is a PWA that runs on any device and is served up by the 'streamer'.  It is very simple to use and only has Add/Remove/Edit of URLs features, all presented very intuitively. Most of the URLs will already be added before the device is distributed. I think we got this Smiley Happy
-- Thuddwin
0 Kudos