Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
balbant
Level 7

Can Roku device be accessed remotely?

Is it possible to access and control the Roku device from another location?
For example, I live in India, but I want to access and control a Roku device which is located in the US. If possible please suggest.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
dono42
Level 7

Re: Can Roku device be accessed remotely?

If you mean place shifting, technically yes. Practically? will be your evaluation. Here is an anecdote. The hardware that enables this is slingbox, mine is a slingbox M1. The slingbox M1 does not have a hdmi connection. To connect to the Roku box you need a hdmi to composite adapter http://www.slingbox.com/Buy/Accessories.aspx you can power it from the usb connection on the Roku. To control the Roku tape the IR blaster from the slingbox to the front of the Roku. So the hardware setup is Roku -> adapter composite -> slinbox M1 also adapter hdmi -> TV. Both Roku and slingbox network connection via wired ethernet. About the Roku it is a Roku 3. I tried the 4660 it did not produce reliable video, lots of flashing. Different video circuit?

To program the slingbox via the slingplayer desktop app. My app is on a MacBook pro. From the desktop -> Reconfigure video input -> change device -> reset sling box -> continue -> this screen will have the name of you sling box and enter zip code -> select My A/V box has no TV service -> Enter manufacture Roku -> select Roku VCR - see virtual remote and test. These prompts are based on my prior hardware setup was to  a cable box, net new might be slightly different. 

User experience? The remote is basic, no programed buttons. The Mac Slingplayer for Web works as expected with slight delays based on network latency. The IOS slingplayer experience is a bit annoying, every time you move the roku selection the screen goes blank for a second. So to get to something like hulu count the number rights and downs you need and enter all at the same time. Once the video steam starts it is usable solution. 

This setup worked fine with a cable box. The Roku functionality was the last thing I needed to cut the cord. 

Windows and Android?  

HTH

0 Kudos
dono42
Level 7

My use case is US based, remote access while traveling. I have used while in France and Germany. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Not without some significant work and hardware. And it probably wouldn't be cheap. Also, someone might consider you are attempting this to circumvent regional restrictions, which Roku does not support nor permit to be discussed here. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos