Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kw77
Level 7

Can No Longer Screen Mirror Android With OS9

After my recent upgrade to software version 9.00 build 4116, I can no longer screen mirror from my Samsung Galaxy S5.  I am able to screen mirror to smart TVs, but not to my Roku Express model 3900X.  When I start Screen mirroring from my android, it shows my living room device and it appears to begin connecting. But instead of mirroring my screen it goes to RokuCast and displays a screen with the only option is "View recent history".  The android responds "Failed to connect to screen mirroring".  Never had any issues before software version 9.00.  Same problem with two androids that worked before and on two different TVs with Roku Express devices.  Any help will be much appreciated.  Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can No Longer Screen Mirror Android With OS9

Hi there! Thanks for the note. A couple questions here to help gather more information: 

- What is the exact version and build of Android that your Galaxy S5 is running? 
- Have you tried restarting both your mobile device and the Roku, as well as rebooting your wireless router?

For reference, you can review our screen mirroring support article here: https://support.roku.com/article/208754928-how-do-i-use-screen-mirroring-with-my-android-or-windows-...

Please feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address, and the serial number of your Roku device(s) if you still aren't able to get things back on track after giving the troubleshooting steps above a try. I'll follow up directly to assist you further. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
kw77
Level 7

i have a Galaxy S5 and a Galaxy S5 mini, I have used both until the OS 9.00 to mirror to TV screen.  As I stated, both androids can still 
screen mirror to Smart TVs.  I did so yesterday using the Galaxy S5 mini while away on travel on a hotel TV.

The Galaxy S5 mini SM-G800A, V 5.1.1 and build LMY47X.G800AUCS3BOJ9

The Galaxy S5 is SM-G900A, V 6.0.1 and build MMB29M.G900AUCS4DQD1

I unplugged the TV and the Roku Express for a clean cold startup.  
Next I rebooted both phones and restarted the Roku Express.  
After that, I reactivated the Roku.

I have not rebooted the router, but will follow up with reply after I try that.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"kw77" wrote:
I unplugged the TV and the Roku Express for a clean cold startup.  
Next I rebooted both phones and restarted the Roku Express.

After that, I reactivated the Roku.

Wait. You reactivated the Roku? Unplugging should not have caused that. A restart (or reboot) should not have caused that. Did you actually do a full factory reset? Because I’m not reading what you wrote as that.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
kw77
Level 7

Yes, since nothing I tried was working, I did a complete factory reset.
0 Kudos
kw77
Level 7

I rebooted my router and it did not change anything.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"kw77" wrote:
I rebooted my router and it did not change anything.

Sounds like a big infecting your device. Follow Tanner’s advice and PM him the info he was asking. He’s Left Coast and may be back online soon.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 8

Google is moving Android away from Miracast (which is what Roku supports) to their own Chromecast.
0 Kudos
kw77
Level 7

I got screen mirroring back following the below instructions from this link: 

https://www.google.com/search?q=How+do+ ... 66&bih=635

The Screen Mirroring Function Doesn't Work

1. Make sure the TV is on the screen mirroring input. On the supplied remote control, press the Input button. ...

2. Enable the screen mirroring setting on your mobile device. ...

3. Reboot your mobile device.

4. Perform a power reset. ...

5. Start pairing the mobile device to the TV. ...

6. Set the Bluetooth® settings of the Android TV to Off.
0 Kudos