Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kentla2

Can I view a browser on my Roku?

Jump to solution

Not sure where to post this but can I view an internet browser on my Roku TV? In other words, use my TV like a large pc monitor. I see a Firefox app but I can't make it work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I view a browser on my Roku?

Jump to solution

No, there is no web browser app for Roku devices. But you can most certainly use a Roku TV as a computer monitor, assuming your computer has an HDMI output. There is a 43" 4K Roku TV just to my left right now that is my secondary monitor for my work laptop. It's connected to my docking station, but most laptops nowadays have HDMI outputs, as do a lot of desktop computers. In fact, the majority of my "computer" monitors in my home are actually TVs. 

The Firefox channel you noted is really just something designed to accept a screen cast from a Firefox browser on a computer. In fact, it's extremely limited, as this is the description:

Watch videos pushed from Firefox for Android on your Roku

So, only for casting videos, and only from an Android device. But you can cast the screen from a Windows 10 laptop, which might provide what you're looking for. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
atc98092

Jump to solution

No, there is no web browser app for Roku devices. But you can most certainly use a Roku TV as a computer monitor, assuming your computer has an HDMI output. There is a 43" 4K Roku TV just to my left right now that is my secondary monitor for my work laptop. It's connected to my docking station, but most laptops nowadays have HDMI outputs, as do a lot of desktop computers. In fact, the majority of my "computer" monitors in my home are actually TVs. 

The Firefox channel you noted is really just something designed to accept a screen cast from a Firefox browser on a computer. In fact, it's extremely limited, as this is the description:

Watch videos pushed from Firefox for Android on your Roku

So, only for casting videos, and only from an Android device. But you can cast the screen from a Windows 10 laptop, which might provide what you're looking for. 

Dan

Tippecanoe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Why is there no browser app? There are streaming sources that can only be accessed through the Internet, like PBS Passport that is a benefit of my public television membership. Sure, I can watch it on my laptop, but I'd much prefer to watch on a larger screen; i.e., my TV. To do so, I have to have my son log on through his Playstation, which means I can only watch when he is at home. I'd much prefer to be able to access programs using my own equipment.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

Because a device without any ability to connect a keyboard and mouse would be extremely difficult to impossible to use a browser app. The Playstation supports adding a keyboard. There is no such ability for any Roku device. I have a TV with a built in browser. I tried using it once, and it was so slow to use an on-screen keyboard that it's useless.

If you want a web browser on your large screen TV, then either connect a computer via HDMI, or use a screen mirroring capable device (Windows 10 laptop, Android or iOS device) and use the TV as a second monitor for the device. All Roku 4K devices support Apple AirPlay (with a couple of exceptions), and it's being added to most 1080 devices with OS 10.0. Android screen mirroring has worked with Roku devices for years. Windows 10 has supported it almost from the beginning, but there are hardware requirements that usually only a laptop supports. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

By the way, I looked at the PBS Roku app in the channel store and it says:  "Support your local station for access to an extended library of shows with PBS Passport."  Have you checked to see if your passport stuff is accessible there?  It sounds like it should be,

0 Kudos
Tippecanoe
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I will check. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Androidguy

Jump to solution

This is not a solution it's a workaround. You have to use two devices to get one result by mirroring your Android or iOS device using twice the energy /resources. If you are mirroring a streaming video pray you don't get a call on your phone. The only real solution is buying an Android TV that will allow you to download and use Puffin, SrafHiBrowser, Google, Yahoo, and other VPN Browsers. Roku is a great platform but it's propriety and does its own limited thing well. Good luck working outside the box it's nonexistent. 

0 Kudos
genohtm

Jump to solution

You must be a supporter of you PBS station to get the app. for any Roku to work. I am a supporter of my local PBS and I get to see it on my Roku.

0 Kudos