Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dez411
Channel Surfer

Can I stream video/movies on roku devices that have bluetooth if I have no wifi access?

Jump to solution

I'm in a hotel long-term where I often can't use the wifi. Can I use my phone's bluetooth to stream video/movies instead of wifi? I was going to buy a Roku Ultra because I can't afford enough data to stream from a hotspot but only see bluetooth used for audio mentioned. I'll have to find another type of streaming device if this isn't possible. (It would be silly to have bluetooth but not be able to use it for the most obvious and basic functions.) 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I stream video/movies on roku devices that have bluetooth if I have no wifi access?

Jump to solution

I just tried it on my 2020 Ultra and it appears that you can only stream audio.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Can I stream video/movies on roku devices that have bluetooth if I have no wifi access?

Jump to solution

I just tried it on my 2020 Ultra and it appears that you can only stream audio.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Dez411
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Thank you for checking. The description states "bluetooth streaming", which is why I spent $100 on it when I already had a roku. It's blatent false advertising because no one would think a streaming device that advertises "bluetooth streaming" won't stream in the common use of the word. Even if they knew that, it's still a lie because it won't bluetooth anything except audio, and won't even do that unless you purchase bluetooth speakers! When the competition does have real bluetooth streaming it's rediculous to have it but not have it perform basic functions.

It's supposed to have the "best wifi connection" but I tried bluetooth (which obviously didn't work) then the hotel's wifi, my 2 wifi extensions, and hotspots and wifi direct on 2 phones each, and could only get online once- and the connection dropped after 15 minutes.

I boxed it right back up and hooked my Roku Express 3930RW back up and it connects much better, but the hotel wifi drops often and I can only sign on 1 device at a time, which is why I need bluetooth.

I researched a little and exchanged for the Chromecast with Google TV for $50. It's supposed to work with bluetooth only as well as screen mirroring and tethering. The only thing I didn't check is if it'll work with the hotel's captive portal. Ill explain for people who search that function- it's a wifi sign in page hotels use that keeps devices that can't enter a password, like my Echo, from connecting. The Express and Ultra roku's have dorm/hotel connect. To use it you sign your phone onto the roku signal in your wifi list and it brings up the hotel's portal site on your phone. You sign in as usual and the roku is on wifi through your phone.

If the chromecast doesn't work with the hotel's wifi, bluetooth will HOPEFULLY be ok until I find a hotspot plan I can afford. A tip to save 50% of your data when streaming: set the picture for SD quality instead of 4K or UHD.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@Dez411 

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra

The ultimate streaming player
Enjoy powerful, smooth streaming with channels that launch in a snap and our best wireless, now with up to 50% more range. Stream in extraordinary Dolby Vision® picture and Dolby Atmos® sound, plus enjoy music with Bluetooth®.

Bluetooth® streaming
Cast your favorite music, podcasts, and more to your TV with a connected Bluetooth device.

What does Roku Ultra do?

Roku Ultra lets you stream the entertainment you love to your TV in brilliant 4K, HDR, and Dolby Vision picture quality from popular channels, like Netflix and Prime Video. It features our best wireless, so you can stream in rooms farther from your router and also gives you the option to wire up with Ethernet. You can also connect your phone or tablet with Bluetooth® to play your favorite music, podcasts, and more through your TV speakers. For even more information on what Roku Ultra does, just scroll up!

Can I connect a Bluetooth® device to my Roku® device?

With some Roku devices, you can connect a smartphone, tablet, or computer via Bluetooth, a wireless communication technology that allows devices to exchange data over short distances (typically less than 30 feet). When a Bluetooth device is connected and playing audio, the Bluetooth channel on your compatible Roku device launches automatically and you can begin listening to music, podcasts, or other audio streamed from apps installed on your Bluetooth device.

How do I connect a Bluetooth® device to my Roku® device?

With some Roku devices, you can connect a smartphone, tablet, or computer via Bluetooth, a wireless communication technology that allows devices to exchange data over short distances (typically less than 30 feet). When a Bluetooth device is connected and playing audio, the Bluetooth channel on your compatible Roku device launches automatically and you can begin listening to music, podcasts, or other audio streamed from apps installed on your Bluetooth device.

This article outlines the steps for first pairing, and then connecting your smartphone, tablet, or computer, and provides details about streaming Bluetooth audio to your Roku device. It does assume that you have already set up your Roku device. If you have not, refer to the instructions in the next section.

Seems pretty clear it only supports streaming audio via Bluetooth.

You did read the product information and support pages before you purchased, right?

0 Kudos