Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smokindog
Level 9

CEC Power control with ROKU Ultra

I've had my Vizio M651d-A2 and my Yamaha RX-A1020 set up for a number of years now and CEC has been flawless to turn on/off the receiver when the TV is turned on/off.

After 22 years I recently kicked DTV to the curb, set up a Plex server with 2 quad tuner cards and signed up for Youtube TV.

I discarded the DirecTV equipment and purchased a ROKU Ultra (4660RW), using the HDMI and network connection that was connected to the DirecTV receiver.  Yes, I powered everything down to reset all the connections.

The problem I'm having is that the receiver is now being turned BACK ON about 70 seconds after the TV/Receiver power off. If I disconnect the ROKU it doesn't happen.  I've tried both with and without the "Control other devices -> 1-touch play" checked.

To me, this is clearly a ROKU issue.  I'm on firmware 8.0.1 - build 4090-46 which just downloaded.  It also happened on the previous version.

THIS is a deal breaker for me with ROKU.  I'm about to do the 3 month prepaid trial with DirecTV Now to get the free Apple 4K.  Once I settle on a platform I'll be purchasing 6 of these so getting one that functions in all locations is important.

PS - I also tried playing with the CEC setting in the Vizio, switching between "ON" and "ARC-only" but it had little affect.
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
19 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: CEC Power control with ROKU Ultra

I can offer no advise on your setup. My Roku Ultra is connected to my TV, not to my sound system.

I can say the DirecTV deal is a great one. $105 for a $179 Apple TV and 3 months of service! I’d do that whether I got the Roku working or not.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: CEC Power control with ROKU Ultra

My Roku 4 will power my system on after a reboot (usually because of a firmware update), which really annoys my wife. I had to disable the CEC control to make it stop. Of course, I also lost the ability of just hitting the Roku remote to change the TV and AVR inputs, but such is life. My Ultra does not do that, but it's connected to a Samsung TV and the 4 is connected to a Panasonic. Both have Yamaha AVRs. Since the TV is the only difference, I blame my 7 year old Panasonic plasma. But no plans to replace it soon, as it still works fine. I just don't bother with the built in smart apps, because the Roku is vastly superior to all of them.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 9

Re: CEC Power control with ROKU Ultra

"atc98092" wrote:
My Roku 4 will power my system on after a reboot (usually because of a firmware update), which really annoys my wife. I had to disable the CEC control to make it stop. Of course, I also lost the ability of just hitting the Roku remote to change the TV and AVR inputs, but such is life. My Ultra does not do that, but it's connected to a Samsung TV and the 4 is connected to a Panasonic. Both have Yamaha AVRs. Since the TV is the only difference, I blame my 7 year old Panasonic plasma. But no plans to replace it soon, as it still works fine. I just don't bother with the built in smart apps, because the Roku is vastly superior to all of them.

I agree with your logic.  I was hoping that ROKU could put a check mark option to completely disable CEC like all other products do (well most).  I don't need it to auto select the input and the fact that it powers thing on without being asked is annoying.  Given the Vizio is circa 2014, getting a firmware change is not gonna happen.
The reason it coexisted well with DirecTV was that the DTV remote sent IR volume change instructions to the Vizio which controlled the AVR volume.  ROKU should do the same IMO!
PLEASE ROKU, allow us to disable you CEC.
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Re: CEC Power control with ROKU Ultra

If you have the 4660, I believe that's the 2017 version of the Ultra. doesn't that one support IR operation of other devices? I have the 4640 (2016) Ultra and it doesn't have IR control of other devices. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
mike_s
Level 8

Re: CEC Power control with ROKU Ultra

On the Roku, turn off "Settings/System/Control other devices/1-touch play" and see if that fixes your issue.
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 9

Re: CEC Power control with ROKU Ultra

"mike.s" wrote:
On the Roku, turn off "Settings/System/Control other devices/1-touch play" and see if that fixes your issu
"mike.s" wrote:
On the Roku, turn off "Settings/System/Control other devices/1-touch play" and see if that fixes your issue.


I mentioned i had already tried this in my initial post.  Thanks!
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 9

Re: CEC Power control with ROKU Ultra

@smokindog
Do you have screen saver enabled? If so how long is the timeout?
Do you leave the Roku running in any particular channel when you turn off the TV and receiver?
How are you turning off the TV/receiver? Using the TV remote? The Roku remote?
Is the Roku connected directly to the TV or the AVR?
Please PM to me the SN of the Roku and the time this happens and we can look at Roku activity log at that time to see what it is doing.
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 9

Re: CEC Power control with ROKU Ultra

"RokuDale" wrote:
@smokindog
Do you have screen saver enabled? If so how long is the timeout?
Do you leave the Roku running in any particular channel when you turn off the TV and receiver?
How are you turning off the TV/receiver? Using the TV remote? The Roku remote?
Is the Roku connected directly to the TV or the AVR?
Please PM to me the SN of the Roku and the time this happens and we can look at Roku activity log at that time to see what it is doing.

PM sent with all answers and requested info!  Forgot in the PM, when enabled, the screensaver was set to 10 minutes.
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 9

Re: CEC Power control with ROKU Ultra

Any updates?????
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos