Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Bricked TCL 43s405

Jump to solution

Awhile back my Roku TV stopped allowing me to watch Hulu. No big problem but recently, I wanted to watch Hulu on my TV again. So I searched and the consensus for fixing just about any persistent problem with a Roku TV is factory reset.

So I reset it, reconfigured it, and it immediately requested a software update. Perfect! It updated and rebooted. And asked again. Ok, I thought, maybe its asking for sequential updates.

I did this about 15 times.

Finally I disabled network on startup and checked the build. 8.0.0-4183. Rebooted, and let it go through its process again. Disabled and checked, still 8.0.0-4183.

Ok clearly network updates are not working. Lets go USB. I download and go through the USB process where you provide a code, the website provides the confirmation code, and you update. Looks good! Reboot, configure, requests an update. Post update I check, still 8.0.0-4183.

So at this point I have tried USB, wired, wireless. Each time the TV thinks it worked, each time it did not, each time it forces a reinstall if its network connected.

I've seen many many many many others with this problem and there never seems to be a solution. I know I am out of warranty but I did not ask for this update and it broke my TV. 

Any solutions out there? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Bricked TCL 43s405

Jump to solution
Oh my Reddit to the rescue! Solved.

The problem is that factory reset puts this TV to a profile of "Default" but the software is mapped to 43S405. So when you reboot, it falls back to 8.0.0.4193 and not the update.

My path was slightly different. Here is what I did:

1) On my next setup cycle, I selected Store. This pops you into more of a normal non-upgrady mode.
2) Go to system --> About
3) enter the following sequence: up, right, down, right, up, fast forward (3 times), rewind (2 times). The screen should go black with something popping up in the bottom left corner. Hit the "back" button. This brings you to the Factory Menu. Its very stark.
4) Turn the first option to "off"
5) Go down to the last option that's not dimmed out (Profile), then press right until you see that your TV was selected. Below this you can see the text that indicates what model # that profile is for. Mine was Profile 9.
6) press the "Home" button and connect to the network, then try the update.

In my case, the update immediately worked as it could match my model # to the profile to the update. Did not even have to update again. It just worked and it tossed me directly to the 'Roku Link' screen where I linked, logged in, selected what I wanted and *poof* my tv update and everything works!
So the key here is getting that darn profile properly selected.

Thanks Internet!

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Further info:

I also tried with secret menu update

Home x5

FF x3

RW x2

From here I try to update and it asks if I want to update to 9.3.0.4182, I agree. It goes through its process, reboots, and I am back on 8.0.0.4183

This is crazy.

My next step is to block the update server..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

Roku version 8.0 was released October2017. It sounds like you haven't received any of the updates since then. I don't have a Roku tv - are there any provisions for downloading Roku operating software to a computer then installing on the tv via a USB thumb drive?

Edited to add: I found this page re downloading and jnstalling Roku TV software - https://support.roku.com/article/212361468

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
@makaiguy wrote:

Roku version 8.0 was released October2017. It sounds like you haven't received any of the updates since then. I don't have a Roku tv - are there any provisions for downloading Roku operating software to a computer then installing on the tv via a USB thumb drive?

Edited to add: I found this page re downloading and jnstalling Roku TV software - https://support.roku.com/article/212361468

There is a usb path That I tried but I can only find the latest software. I think that is part of the problem, if I could find a few interim versions to install it may upgrade in stages.

is there some unofficial repository of releases out there?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution
Oh my Reddit to the rescue! Solved.

The problem is that factory reset puts this TV to a profile of "Default" but the software is mapped to 43S405. So when you reboot, it falls back to 8.0.0.4193 and not the update.

My path was slightly different. Here is what I did:

1) On my next setup cycle, I selected Store. This pops you into more of a normal non-upgrady mode.
2) Go to system --> About
3) enter the following sequence: up, right, down, right, up, fast forward (3 times), rewind (2 times). The screen should go black with something popping up in the bottom left corner. Hit the "back" button. This brings you to the Factory Menu. Its very stark.
4) Turn the first option to "off"
5) Go down to the last option that's not dimmed out (Profile), then press right until you see that your TV was selected. Below this you can see the text that indicates what model # that profile is for. Mine was Profile 9.
6) press the "Home" button and connect to the network, then try the update.

In my case, the update immediately worked as it could match my model # to the profile to the update. Did not even have to update again. It just worked and it tossed me directly to the 'Roku Link' screen where I linked, logged in, selected what I wanted and *poof* my tv update and everything works!
So the key here is getting that darn profile properly selected.

Thanks Internet!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution
Thank you for reporting back. This should be a great help to anybody with the same problem -- at least for the few that actually do a search for solutions first.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Unforutnately this didn't work on my TCL 55R625 but it's more substantive of a support effort than anything else I've found through official channels yet.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Did you find your device name in the profiles list?

I also made sure to go to Store mode but I don't actually think it made a difference, just one of the probably inert ingredients I added to my spell.

This is criminal how badly QA'd these devices are and how unresponsive Roku and TCL are. Literally their updates are bricking customer TV's at scale and they really don't seem to care.

If 20 people post, 2000 probably threw away their TV's without complaining.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes mine is option 18.  I tried it in store mode and normal. Either my 9.2.2 build has a bug or the 9.3 build they are pushing is bugged. Either way, I think what they need to do is either pull back the update for my device on the update server so I can at least get back to activate with full features again.

TCL missed their 24 hour Tech Level 2 window. No call or email. I've been home all day. I'll see if they respond this week or they have 30 days and then I'm just going to sue them for the purchase price + court costs for not honoring their warranty and buy a different TV. 

The possible solutions seem rather obvious:

1. Fix the bug in the 9.3 code and push that update out based on serials to customers who are having issues. They could probably figure this out without customer intervention just by checking their logs for which TV serials are trying to upgrade several times. 

2. If it's a bug in the 9.2.2 code, then give me the file and instructions to force a downgrade.

3. Tell me how to bypass the update requirement in order to activate without this endless loop (or blacklist my serial on this update on the server). There are people trying to figure out how to block the update server but it is probably using TLS so that's not really possible to forge an update message and blocking the server probably just keeps you from activating.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Jump to solution

Wow, I wonder if that is something TCL specific. I've never seen any such menu in my Insignia or Sharp Roku TVs. But great write-up and explanation.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos