Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cordcutternewbi
Streaming Star

Bluetooth in Ultra

I want to hit Verizon in the wallet!

I've spent hours on YouTube & Google researching Fire TV, Apple TV 4K, Nvidia Shield, Google TV & Roku.

I have 2 TVs that I want to connect to Roku. Neither one is 4K. I want to future-proof my purchase.

I don't want Fire TV because of all of the sponsored content, ads, recommendations, suggestions & Prime Video in my face.

Nvidia Shield remotes don't have a volume mute button on a $200 streaming device.

Apple TV 4K & Nvidia Shield cost more than I want to spend. Apple TV 4Ks are $180 or $200. Nvidia Shields are $150 & $200. I don't want to spend $300 to $400.

The New Google TV UI is almost as bad as Fire TV with suggestions, ads & recommendations in my face.

I read online that Android TV will be upgraded to Google TV on all of the players & TVs.

I don't want the home screen on my TV cluttered with Prime Video, ads, sponsored content, suggestions & recommendations.

I like the simplicity of the Roku home screen. It's easy to navigate & easy to learn one's way around. There is only one ad & there are no suggestions & recommendations cluttering the home screen. Roku has suggestions & recommendations but they aren't on the home screen. Get with it, Fire TV & Google TV!

I've narrowed my choices down to the Streaming Stick+ HE or the Ultra.

Anyway, the Ultra is the only Roku with Bluetooth.. I know that Bluetooth is wireless audio. I guess that the Ultra sends the wireless audio to a smartphone or tablet, correct? But then both the Streaming Stick+ & the Ultra come with earbuds.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Bluetooth in Ultra

If Dolby Vision, full (NetFlix) Dolby Atmos, Dolby decoding, IR Remote Control, USB media playback, along with wired ethernet support matter to you, then get the 2020 Ultra (the SS+ has none of those) - its also on sale until tomorrow at roku.com/etc for $70.

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Streaming Star

HMMM!

The Ultra would be more future-proof than the SS+.

A thought occurred to me after I sent the post. I don't have a Bluetooth headset but I want to get one. I'm tired of untangling the cable every time before I plug in the earbuds. Only the Ultra allows me to take advantage of Bluetooth.

I know that the sound comes from the TV speakers or soundbar if the headphones are not plugged into the remote. When the headphones are plugged into the remote the TV/soundbar  sound is turned off & the sound comes from the earphones. Does one need to enable Bluetooth on the Ultra or go into the settings & set Bluetooth? Do the headphones automatically pair with the Ultra when the headphones are turned on?

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Streaming Star

HMMM!

The Ultra would be more future-proof than the SS+.

A thought occurred to me after I sent the post. I don't have a Bluetooth headset but I want to get one. I'm tired of untangling the cable every time before I plug in the earbuds. Only the Ultra allows me to take advantage of Bluetooth.

I know that the sound comes from the TV speakers or soundbar if the headphones are not plugged into the remote. When the headphones are plugged into the remote the TV/soundbar sound is turned off & the sound comes from the earphones. Does one need to enable Bluetooth on the Ultra or go into the settings & set Bluetooth? Do the headphones automatically pair with the Ultra when the headphones are turned on?

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Streaming Star

Sorry for the duplicate post. You can delete one of them.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

The bluetooth connection is for incoming (not outgoing) connections.

You connect devices (tablets/phone/PCs/etc) to send audio data to/through your Roku for output (your Roku is the bluetooth speaker for devices).

https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

You can however use headphones connected to your remote (via the headphones jack) or connected to/paired with your phone (if using the Roku Remote app).

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Streaming Star

HMMM, that's not what I expected.

So, let's see if I understand this. If I want to use Bluetooth headphones, I have to connect them to my smartphone thru the Roku Remote app?

I wonder why Roku does that.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@cordcutternewbi wrote:

HMMM, that's not what I expected.

So, let's see if I understand this. If I want to use Bluetooth headphones, I have to connect them to my smartphone thru the Roku Remote app?

I wonder why Roku does that.

Yes, they'd need to be paired with the phone/tablet/device you are using the Roku Remote app on.

0 Kudos
cordcutternewbi
Streaming Star

Fascinating, as Spock would say!

I guess that Roku decided to pair Bluetooth headphones with the Roku Remote app instead of thru the Ultra itself.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

You'd pair it with the phone (OS UI), not the app - the app just gets the benefit of the phone pairing.

0 Kudos