Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bardel
Level 7

Bizarre error with Roku/TV switching off into standby mode

The symptom. My LG 4K TV switch off by going into standby mode. Just as if someone had pressed the power-off button on the TV remote. The TV remote, however is not anywhere near any person or animal - it's lying in full view on the side table. The Roku remote is also untouched next to the TV remote.

This happens repeatedly, but not with a specific frequency. Sometimes as close together as 10-15 minutes, sometimes an entire evening may pass without it happening. 

There are 3 actors in this problem: My  Roku Premiere+ (4630x, Software version 7.7.0 Build 4154-29); the LG 4K TV (Sept 2015 model 60UF7300); lastly the Roku app for Tablo, an OTA streaming device.

A Roku speed test shows it getting between 23-31 Mbps throughput.Never lower than 23, mostly around the 30 Mbps to the Speedtest servers.[/font][/color]

One more data point. Today, when it happened, I was sitting in a position where I could see the Roku and the white light on it. Right before it started happening, the white light started flashing  and it continued to flash rapidly, but not in a recognizable pattern for 15-20 seconds after the TV had gone into standby mode. [/font][/color]

Elimination data. 
- The Tablo does not exhibit this behavior when streaming on my desktop, nor, on another, much older Roku (Roku 3?) attached to a FHD Samsung TV or to the same LG TV via Chromecast.
- The Roku does not exhibit this behavior if I watch Netflix or Amazon - only if we stream content from the Tablo. 
- The TV does not go into sleep or standby mode regardless of how long it is left switched on or unattended. 
- I cannot use a different HDMI port on the TV - it has only one port that supports HDCP 2.2
- I did call Roku technical support. IMHO they were spectacularly unhelpful, suggesting only that I switch HDMI ports or try another electrical outlet. This again, despite the fact that unless the Roku app is involved, the TV never exhibits any behavior of going into sleep mode. 

I've broached this with Tablo on their support forums, but they could only suggest that I try a different HDMI cable - which I did. To no avail. They also suggested I contact Roku, since in their words "We've seen Roku HDMI issues in the past (one of their HDMI errors is one of the most viewed threads on our forum)."

I am literally at my wits' end here. I have no idea how to troubleshoot this issue any further. 
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Bardel
Level 7

Re: Bizarre error with Roku/TV switching off into standby mode

Hey guys, anyone here on Roku forums have any ideas that'll help? Table Guys were kind enough to send me an alternate build of their app, but the problem persists. 
0 Kudos
mike1597
Level 7

My thoughts are...

• Possible power supply issue.  Besides the TV and Roku what else is plugged into the power outlet?  If using a surge protector try bypassing the surge protector.  Disconnect then reattach the power cord from the TV.

• Possible defective TV remote.  Remove batteries from TV remote and see if problem goes away.

• When you disable HDMI-CEC did the issue go away?

• Does TV have adequate ventilation, could it be overheating?

• Are you or someone else using a mobile LG app for the TV?
0 Kudos
Bardel
Level 7

"mike1597" wrote:
My thoughts are...

• Possible power supply issue.  Besides the TV and Roku what else is plugged into the power outlet?  If using a surge protector try bypassing the surge protector.  Disconnect then reattach the power cord from the TV.

• Possible defective TV remote.  Remove batteries from TV remote and see if problem goes away.

• When you disable HDMI-CEC did the issue go away?

• Does TV have adequate ventilation, could it be overheating?

• Are you or someone else using a mobile LG app for the TV?

Some good thoughts.  
Yesterday I had the other TV/Roku/Tablo combination on Sports -  hours and hours, nothing went wrong,  everything played great. This problem LG TV/Roku Premiere+/Tablo I had streaming some 7h23 fishing thing from Netflix - not a problem for as long as it was on which was maybe 4+ hours. So in my mind that eliminates everything but the Tablo app. Everything else was involved in streaming Netflix.
I have  a soundbar plugged into the same outlet, as well as a Chromecast Ultra.  I did switch out the Surge protector. Again, the same configuration on Netflix shows no issues at all.
Nobody uses a Mobile LG app. 
I'm definitely going to look into disabling the HDMI-CES interface, although it's super-convenient to use. That's probably the next thing if I don't find an intrinsic solution. 

As for ventilation - the TV is standing on a table with maybe 18 inches behind it and nothing to either side for an appreciable distance.  And the same refrain, if it was environmental, then it should manifest if I stream Netflix. Or am I mistaken here? Can there be such a difference in power consumption either by Roku or the TV for two different apps streaming over Roku?
0 Kudos

My Phillips smart TV's power also intermittently goes on and off when I hook up my Roku via HDMI. I returned it to store and began re using my Xbox 360 to stream movies but my xbox360 emits high heat and radiation...when I began using my Xbox to stream the problem stopped. I have no idea why the HDMI $29 Roku does not work properly with my Phillips smart TV. Only reason I do not use smart TV feature on my Phillips smart TV is because they do not have hulu available. Ridiculous. And I cannot update Phillips software..when I try it has a message " this download not authorized." Ugh man.
0 Kudos
gadrago
Level 7

Since your Tablo device has no physical (HDMI) connection to your TV and is accessed only through an app on a physically connected device like a Roku, I'd be inclined to suspect the HDMI-CEC interface between your Roku and TV.  CEC is often times problematical between different device combinations. As suggested previously, try disabling the CEC functionality in your Roku and TV to see if the intermittent power off problem goes away.
0 Kudos