Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EJK17019

Bit Rate Limiting

I'd suggest that for Roku to be competitive they will need a reliable way to limit bandwidth. I have been looking at switching to Roku for several years now and haven't done so because of bandwidth. I need to be able to stream via a cellular network and a bit rate feature would allow me to do so with Roku  

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Bit Rate Limiting

There is a hidden menu on Roku devices that has such a setting. However, since most online providers use a variable bitrate streaming method, the Roku option doesn't really work on most sites. With Netflix, you can only subscribe to their content at SD levels. I don't think many others have such an option.

Even if the hidden menu option was successful, Roku states that they can remove any and all such settings at any time. So it's not something you can rely on. 

There are some routers available that offer bitrate control for Internet access. I suggest you do some research in that area. I don't know of any streaming player that offers such a control function.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos