Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richmwill
Level 7

Better for upstairs room- Stick+ or Ultra?

I want to add a Roku to a tv on the upstairs level of my house. Since my router is downstairs, distance may be an issue. I see on the specs that the Roku Streaming Stick+ has a WiFi antenna for better reception. While the Ultra is advertised as “our best wireless”. Which would be better? Thank you in advance for any info.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Re: Better for upstairs room- Stick+ or Ultra?

0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

My recommendation is get an Ultra and do whatever is needed to connect it wired.

Wireless works pretty good most of the time with Roku BUT wired is always better and you will get a lot fewer dropped connections or other problems that wireless introduces to the streaming equation.

If you absolutly cannot go wired then a Powerline adapter is the next best thing. Wireless should be the last resort for quality streaming.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

That's a good price, but they are reconditioned units, not new. As to which would be better, tough call. Because the Stick+ has an external antenna (within the power cable I understand), you have the potential of re-positioning it to improve the signal. With the Ultra you might (I really have no idea) have a more substantial antenna within the case, which could be an improvement. 
The biggest advantage to the external antenna on the Stick is because it is often connected directly to the TV's HDMI jack, and in that position the wireless reception might be hindered by emissions from within the TV itself. Since the Ultra will be placed further away from that source of interference, it could work just as well, or even better. The only wireless Roku I use in my home (I only use my Stick when I travel) is a Premiere that is single band. The wireless point it normally connects to is about 10 feet away through an interior wall. But I can connect it to the upstairs wireless and overall it works just as well. I only encounter problems if I'm streaming one of my UHD movie rips from my server, because they can exceed 100 Mbps and the Premiere has a little trouble keeping up with it unless the wireless is flawless. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Chicken
Level 8

If possible, ethernet will be more stable, like rock stable where WIFI relys on the over the air signal and that can get spotty.  If you get an HDMI cable you can move the WIFI ROKU around to try improving the signal or even get an extender but it will never be as stable as ethernet.  I use WIFI myself, with the understanding it's not the best way and I have a couple repeaters to reach the far ends of the house.
0 Kudos
Kikij02
Level 7

Ultra
0 Kudos