Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sofakinghot
Streaming Star

BRAND NEW Roku LE not working

ETA: after reading the community I'm just going to send it back. With what I'm seeing here, I don't know if I should even bother with another Roku. I loved my streaming stick + until it quit working. Smiley Sad

My Roku streaming stick + Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)  3810X quit working over a week ago. I got tired of futzing around with support and bought a new Roku LE instead. It arrived today and after hooking it all up, it was updating the player software repeatedly, and it's now checking the display type repeatedly. The color also changes from purple to magenta for no reason. I am so angry, I could spit. The screen has double vision too. I don't understand why the quality is so poor all of a sudden. I now have two useless devices when one worked fine 2 weeks ago.

It's worth mentioning I still use a CRT TV with RCA composite ports, and I have a HDMI converter box. The TV picture and colors are fine for other uses. Again, my 3810X stopped working while I was watching a show.

pronouns: she/her
Hello from Chicago, IL…on the land belonging to the Kiikaapoi (Kickapoo); Peoria; Bodéwadmiakiwen (Potawatomi), Miami; and Očeti Šakówiŋ (Sioux) indigenous peoples.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: BRAND NEW Roku LE not working

@sofakinghot 

Its not clear whether your LE (3930S3) is still in an update software loop or not - if it is, you'll want to try an alternate internet access method in order to successfully update (hotspot, neighbor, work, business, etc) assuming you already restarted your modem/router/gateway and/or dont want to spend hours re-configuring it hoping to get a positive update result.

As for the Display type/color shifting/double vision issues, those could all be caused by/due to your usage of an HDMI>Composite converter - again, you'll want to eliminate it as the source of the issue(s) by connecting your LE (and perhaps your SS+) to a different TV with an HDMI port (neighbor/friend/relative/etc).

Finally, the LE is perhaps the cheapest currently available model in all terms, including capability/quality/price, and its possible it may simply be defective - if you do "send it back", consider getting the 3940/3941 (Express 4K/4K+) or 3820/3821 (Streaming Stick 4K/4K+) instead (Dual-Band, etc) if you decide to get another Roku.

0 Kudos
sofakinghot
Streaming Star

Would the 4K work on my CRT TV?

pronouns: she/her
Hello from Chicago, IL…on the land belonging to the Kiikaapoi (Kickapoo); Peoria; Bodéwadmiakiwen (Potawatomi), Miami; and Očeti Šakówiŋ (Sioux) indigenous peoples.
0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

The 394x/382x (and 480x) models use a different newer SoC than the 3930S3 (or the 3810), so they may likely give you a different result with your HDMI>Composite converter (assuming the HDMI>Composite converter isnt the source of the problems).

You really need to isolate/eliminate the source of your display-related issues, so testing any of your Rokus on another TV with HDMI (and without the HDMI>Composite converter) is key to that.

0 Kudos