Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

BANDWIDTH Saver Doesn't Work.

I have tried and tried to get the Settings Mode for Bandwith Saver "On" to work.  It Does Not take.  So our cable company is enjoying all the extra money because we fall asleep often and depending on the Saver sounded great.  Good Luck.  We have to have unlimited bandwith on cable company to not be charge an extra $10 every other day or so.  Anyone else?

5 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: BANDWIDTH Saver Doesn't Work.

Same here, I have a 100 Gig cap on my provider and there's no unlimited option for me. I'm charged 4 bucks per gig after so the data saver streaming quality option would be great if it worked! I find now I go to the Amazon Firestick more often now as it does the stream options as does Netflix. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@KMW @RockinRog 

Thanks for the note.

Have you tried going into Settings > Network > Bandwidth Saver > On? If you are not able to do this, what are you experiencing?

For more information about the Bandwidth saver, visit our Support page here: How do I use Bandwidth Saver to avoid going over my internet data cap?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Highlighted
Level 8

I'm mistaking bandwidth saver with streaming bitrate quality. For example Netflix and Firestick have a feature in settings to set bitrate video quality to Good, Better, Best or Low, Medium or High quality. 

In Roku the feature is /was there but it would not stick thus always playing streams on high quality which eats up my limited data cap on my only rural choice for internet. 

It's ok as I'm sure there's way more of a customer base that has unlimited internet these days to worry about the few (million) of minions that represent the other class of service. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

We have gone in 20 times to setting and turn on bandwidth saver.  Never Works.  Every time we check if the setting "took" it says it is "on."  So who knows.  Between that and the remote battery replacement issue, we might be looking to switch to another brand.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17

@KMW wrote:

We have gone in 20 times to setting and turn on bandwidth saver.  Never Works.  Every time we check if the setting "took" it says it is "on."  So who knows.  Between that and the remote battery replacement issue, we might be looking to switch to another brand.  Any ideas?

If your bandwidth saver setting says it is on, what makes you think it is not working?

What this is supposed to do is kick in when your unit has gone 4 hours without receiving any input from the remote or from the Roku app on a mobile device.  It then should pop up an on-screen prompt asking if you want to continue and if it doesn't receive a response in a short period of time (I don't know how long), it will exit the channel and return to the home screen to keep it from continuing to stream.

Does yours not do this?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)