Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Agrajag
Level 7

Auto Adjust Display Refresh Rate Useless

Is anyone finding this new "feature" to be of any use whatsoever?

This was one of the very top items on my Want List for Roku. Judder in countless programming makes much of it unwatchable for me on a Roku. Meanwhile, on the PC or on TiVo neither have this issue and both can display clean, judder-free content. The catch with both is that neither of them are as simple to use as the Roku which is why we all own one (or more). 

Since turning this one (and setting the Display to Auto as well), all sorts of issues crop up.

1. Increased flashing that often is a bear to work around.
2. Watching Netflix is a HUGE pain as any sort of menu movement causes the display to re-sync and then re-sync again as you move from one selection to another.
3. Youtube is the same as Netflix above, but has more issues within content as it switches from ads to content.
4. Hulu is virtually unusable with these settings as it has the same sync issues, suffers more flashes and an inexplicable zoom problem that's hard to stop once it happens, plus audio sync issues.
5. Much of the above in Amazon Instant Video.

There has to be a clean way for the development team to address these issues. I guess it starts with the hardware doing 60fps as a foundation (but that's just a guess on my part). I don't get why everything else doesn't have these issues other than this.

My patience is quickly running out and at this point I'm pretty much expecting that the "grand solution" to all this will be for Roku to release another round of new hardware complete with its own set of unique problems. GRRR. TV should not be this hard or this stress-inducing. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
cosmoxl
Level 7

Re: Auto Adjust Display Refresh Rate Useless

App makers are the ones that need to fix the annoyances.  Sony Vue has done it.  In their first iteration of the new GUI it would switch framerate often - to 30fps, then to 60fps, then back to 30fps when you switched the station. Now it doesn't, except for 24p on-demand material.
0 Kudos
Agrajag
Level 7

"cosmoxl" wrote:
App makers are the ones that need to fix the annoyances.  Sony Vue has done it.  In their first iteration of the new GUI it would switch framerate often - to 30fps, then to 60fps, then back to 30fps when you switched the station. Now it doesn't, except for 24p on-demand material.

If that's the case, then I don't hold out a lot of hope for any sort of "quick" fix. Quick meaning this year. Youtube JUST got an update and it was stagnant for ages before that. Same for Hulu. Sadly, Roku is not on the priority list for many of these companies. 
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

"Agrajag" wrote:

4. Hulu is virtually unusable with these settings as it has the same sync issues, suffers more flashes and an inexplicable zoom problem that's hard to stop once it happens, plus audio sync issues.

Don't get the new Fire TV.  The judder is so bad I just deleted the app off of there.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Agrajag
Level 7

I had high hopes for FireTV, but it's typical Amazon. 50% solution loaded with ads and a lot of forgotten elements. No way I get any streaming box at this point that can't do Ethernet. Maybe once WiFi is much faster, but not now.
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

"Agrajag" wrote:
I had high hopes for FireTV, but it's typical Amazon. 50% solution loaded with ads and a lot of forgotten elements. No way I get any streaming box at this point that can't do Ethernet. Maybe once WiFi is much faster, but not now.

And there lies the issue with Roku - its wifi or nothing, dont know why they cant add a 50Hz mode as on the Now TV branded boxes, that would instantly stop the complaints of judder
0 Kudos
Agrajag
Level 7

Ah. My Premiere+ has Ethernet, which is the main reason I went for that level. I also thought the magic refresh rate was 60Hz, not 50Hz, but I really don't know what I'm talking about there. 
0 Kudos
Heyitsrick
Level 11

"2pints" wrote:
"Agrajag" wrote:

And there lies the issue with Roku - its wifi or nothing, dont know why they cant add a 50Hz mode as on the Now TV branded boxes, that would instantly stop the complaints of judder

50hz for Europe, you mean, right? US is 60hz.
0 Kudos
Friskyville
Level 7

Roku is the channel developer for Netflix on Roku. I just spoke to Netflix about it. Roku needs to fix this. It makes Netflix unusable.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 8

"Friskyville" wrote:
Roku is the channel developer for Netflix on Roku. I just spoke to Netflix about it. Roku needs to fix this. It makes Netflix unusable.

That is, as I said in your other thread about the same thing, simply untrue. The only one that can fix the Netflix app is Netflix. They own the content and they wrote the app.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos