Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Audio "Leveling" mode no longer working correctly after version 11 upgrade

Roku 4660X Ultra / version 11.0.0 Build 4184-46

The main modes I used on OS version 10 and prior were "Leveling" for movies & TV, and "Off" for music.

"Leveling" was great because it did just what it said... it made quiet parts louder and limited loud parts from getting too loud. I would turn on "leveling" and the volume would usually get louder (unless the source itself was already very loud), I could adjust the volume, and it would be perfect, and stay perfect.

Now, "Leveling" just seems to make everything quieter when it's turned on, doesn't make quiet parts louder, and doesn't do anything about sudden jumps in volume. So, I turn it on, and everything is quieter, so I turn the volume up. Then, eventually, it gets too loud, and I have to turn it down. Then eventually, it gets too quiet again, and I have to turn it up. Etc etc etc.

So, it no longer does what it's supposed to do. I can't see why ANYONE would want it this way.

Please restore its correct functionality to as it was in OS version 10 and previous.

12 REPLIES 12
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Audio "Leveling" mode no longer working correctly after version 11 upgrade

Hello @Psilobite

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
  4. Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Psilobite
Roku Guru

Thanks very much for the reply.

Device model: 4660X Roku Ultra
Serial Number: YJ00A4777475
Device ID: CK386A777475

Does this issue occur on a specific channel?

It occurs on all channels, but I notice it most on YouTube. (Version is 2.22 Build 105005058)

Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

You really need access to a Roku still running OS version 10, which I'm assuming you have. Simply go into YouTube, and start a video that contains mostly speech, such as a news video. Audio mode should be on "Off". Start playback, hit "*" on the remote, and change audio mode to "Leveling". The most immediate thing you will notice is that on Roku OS version 10, the sound level usually gets louder right away. On version 11, it gets quieter. You can toggle between "Off" and "Leveling" on both a Roku OS version 10 device and Roku OS version 11 device to notice the differences.

Tracker ID when this issue occurs

Audio mode was "Off". I went into YouTube, played a video, turned audio mode to "Leveling", waited for about 20 seconds, then hit "home" 5 times and "back" button 5 times. Tracker ID is 75-168-449. (Timestamp 2022-04-27T23:29:48Z.)

Quendor
Channel Surfer

I have precisely the same problem after OS 11 installed.

Tracker: 13-209-342

7118X (55S515)

YS00MU540713

FT296M540713

This problem has made viewing extremely annoying as I'm constantly adjusting the volume. I hope this is just a big that will be quickly fixed. I will have to buy a new TV if this keeps up. And if this was intentional, I'll have to buy a different brand, as this problem is just insufferable.

Psilobite
Roku Guru

It really is horrible. It was great in OS version 10. What usually happens now is, movie/video starts playing, and is extremely quiet. It STAYS extremely quiet for about 30 seconds. Then, over a period of about 5-10 seconds, the volume increases, and becomes louder. So, either I miss the first 30 seconds of audio and wait for the sound to increase, or, I turn it up, wait for it to get extremely loud, then turn it back down.

It appears to me, that the original version of "Leveling" acted like a compressor, with fast attack and slow release, which gives instant boost to low audio, and limits loud audio from getting too loud. Exactly what the user would want and expect.

The new OS 11 version acts like an automatic gain rider, with very slow response (30 seconds!) and then slow attack. I suspect they thought this would make it more "transparent" because it takes more time for the software to react and then slowly adjust the volume. But it is not transparent at all, it's extremely noticeable, and it does a poor job at making quiet sounds louder when they are surrounded by louder sounds, something the OS 10 version did extremely well.

But, sadly, I don't expect this will ever get fixed. This was probably a decision made in some meeting somewhere, and with only a few people complaining, they see it as a success. They would probably see it as a success even if 100 people complained, since they see it as too much expense to have to pay someone to change the code. And even then, it would likely just be adjusted, not returned to the full functionality of the OS 10 version. Very typical experience nowadays, sadly. "Upgrade" means the opposite of what it's supposed to mean.

Quendor
Channel Surfer

If it was intentional, I hope they at least add it back as an additional option in the audio modes list. The TV is junk without it.

As a side not, it'd be nice if they brought back the previous, superior star menu as well. This latest one is unnecessarily clumsy; it takes me 11-12 button pushes to accomplish what I used to in 4 button pushes.

I agree that "upgrade" and "update" no longer mean what they used to mean.

I just got a new Roku and this is also happening on my TV. Both "Leveling" and "Night" modes do absolutely nothing for the audio. We're constantly adjusting the volume and it's very irritating. What is the solution?

Quendor
Channel Surfer

Unfortunately, the current solution is to avoid buying Roku products, as the Roku team has not even acknowledged the existence of this change that they made, let alone mention that they will fix it.

Psilobite
Roku Guru

I'm just using "Night" now. It's not great but is the best alternative until the next change that will probably make it even worse, if that's even possible.

0 Kudos
airTime24
Reel Rookie

Same here Update to version 11 has made the TV just about un-watchable as the commercials are so loud it could wake a hibernating bear. Audio Leveling worked Perfectly in previous OS 10.  Please Fix ASAP

0 Kudos