Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mktgbill

Re: Audio guide won't turn off

I was having this same issue though I initially through the HBO Max app on my Hisense TV and was unable to resolve it despite switching the settings. I was able to fix the the settings by doing a reset. Not a full tv reset but just an option for audio and video settings reset. I recommend trying this if all else fails.

0 Kudos
Howmant
Reel Rookie

@renojim choosing a different English audio track worked! I didn't realize there was more than one English track! Thank you!

Layz1

Thank you for pointing out the difference between the guide and the track.  My issue was the track and your comments helped solve my problem.

0 Kudos
Tprebe

For Disney+ the only way to get around it for me is to edit the profile you’re watching on. Go to setting and change the auto play to whatever it isn’t on. Then save. Then go back and the audio guide is off. 

can’t figure out how to turn it off for the roku (seems to be happening in paramount+) but not on my other tv. 

0 Kudos
Samash

Same here. I have tired everything from pressing the * button four times and looking in the app. It doesn’t happen on my other TLC Roku tv. It was only on HBO Mac and now it’s doing it for paramount+. I do t have an audio guide option in my settings > accessibility either. I have tried doing the * button while using the app and only see English or Spanish. Do I need to reset the whole tv back to factory settings, or throw it out the window? I am leaning towards the latter at this point. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Samash 

In Roku OS 10.5, Audio Guide has been renamed to Speech Reader.

Settings..Accessibility..Speech Reader

Pressing the * button four times will only work if you have this shortcut Enabled in your Settings.  Unless you need it, it is better to leave this shortcut disabled to prevent accidently activating it.

Settings..Accessibility..Shortcut

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Mjrobert

Re: Audio guide/descriptive audio won't turn off

FINALLY!!! I figured out how to shut the describing voice. Omg it was making me absolutely insane. On any program your on, press the * ,scroll down to "accessibility and captioning" then scroll down to "audio track". It will list 2 options of English, read the description for both. One has descriptive text listed, choose the one that doesn't have that. Problem fixed and my sanity restored. 

Athena23

I have turned screen reader off but it won’t stop telling me what channel it’s on what time it starts and finishes 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Athena23

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more detailed information about the issue you are experiencing? What channel are you seeing this occur on? What are the exact steps to reproduce the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rms77
Reel Rookie

I use a Roku Ultra. It started telling me what menu item I was over and details about what program I was starting. I went under accessibility and disabled Screen Reader. Problem solved!

0 Kudos