Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TLC814

Audio guide won't turn off

I have tried turning off in settings/accessibility. Disabling shortcut to avoid accidental hitting * 4 times to turn on. Still we have the narration. We are streaming on Netflix on our Onn Roku TV. What else can I do to get it to stop narrating ?

0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Audio guide won't turn off

This sounds like an alternate soundtrack for the program you are watching, which describes the action for the visually impaired.

When you've clicked on the Netflix program you want to watch scroll down the options on the left on the preview screen and click "Audio & Subtitles".  In the next screen, scroll down to Audio and make sure the audio option you have checked does not say "Audio Description" or similar wording.

I've found this setting will carry over between Netflix programs.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos

I am having the same problem. Audio guide is turned off in accessibility. This is driving me nuts. How do I turn off the narration? Thanks!

renojim

The audio guide and narration are two different things.  The audio guide simply reads any text on the screen while not playing a video.  Narration is part of the audio track.  Changing the audio track to one without narration is required.  How to do that varies with what channel/app you're using.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Madgy42

Narration/audio guide came on without any reason 1st on  Disney+ & now on ABC. I’ve tried everything recommended but still on. What to do?

If it’s a TCL DON’T CALL. They are going to say it’s your cable when it’s a hardware issue with the tv. 

0 Kudos
Howmant
Reel Rookie

I've had the same problem with Disney+ only and haven't been able to figure anything out. Even bought a different Roku and still same problem only with Disney +.

0 Kudos
renojim

@Howmant, to be clear, are you referring to a digital voice reading the text that appears on the screen like movie titles, etc., or a soothing voice that describes the action occurring in a movie?  If the latter, it has nothing to do with Roku accessibility settings.

0 Kudos
Howmant
Reel Rookie

@renojim It is a voice describing what is happening during the movie. And it is only happening with Disney+ and I can't find anything in those settings either. Thanks.

renojim

@Howmant, ok that's something within the movie itself.  Not everyone has Accessibility settings for one reason or another, but we can ignore them.

While you're watching a movie press the * button on your remote and you should see a menu pop up.  Look for "Audio track" (hopefully it's not grayed out) and choose a different track.  Movies often have multiple English tracks with and without descriptive service.