Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VickiB
Reel Rookie

Audio guide will not stay off permanently

Jump to solution

I have never used the audio guide on my Roku device.  Suddenly about a week ago when I turned on Roku, the audio guide was on.  I went into settings and set it to off.  The next day I went into Roku to watch some shows and the audio guide was on again.  I went into settings and set it to off again.  This has happened now at least 5 times.  Has anyone else have the problem with the audio guide settings not staying set?  Does anyone know of a permanent fix for it?  I'm thinking it may have started after a Roku software update that was pushed out.

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Audio guide will not stay off permanently

Jump to solution

You didnt mention your Roku model # and firmware version: Settings/System/About

1)  Make sure you disable the shortcut to the Audio Guide:  Settings/Accessibility/Shortcut=disabled - try again

2) Try a Factory Reset:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory Reset

View solution in original post

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Four presses of the * button on the Roku remote is a shortcut that will toggle the Audio Guide on/off.

You can disable this shortcut altogether with the link tha @StreamerUser  gave you, above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

VickiB
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for your prompt reply.  
Sorry, the model is: Roku Ultra
Software Version: 10.0.0 build 4209-C2

I hadn't had the time to try your suggestions, but when I turned it on this morning the audio guide stayed off.  I will do several tests, but in the meantime I disabled the shortcut as you suggested.  If if comes back on I will do a factory reset.
Thanks again!

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You didnt mention your Roku model # and firmware version: Settings/System/About

1)  Make sure you disable the shortcut to the Audio Guide:  Settings/Accessibility/Shortcut=disabled - try again

2) Try a Factory Reset:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Factory Reset

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Four presses of the * button on the Roku remote is a shortcut that will toggle the Audio Guide on/off.

You can disable this shortcut altogether with the link tha @StreamerUser  gave you, above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
VickiB
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for your prompt reply.  
Sorry, the model is: Roku Ultra
Software Version: 10.0.0 build 4209-C2

I hadn't had the time to try your suggestions, but when I turned it on this morning the audio guide stayed off.  I will do several tests, but in the meantime I disabled the shortcut as you suggested.  If if comes back on I will do a factory reset.
Thanks again!

0 Kudos
ConsumerMaven21
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

WHen I got a new Roku, this horrible function continues to come on. I turn it off, and it comes back on. I have followed all the directions you mentioned. There is NO shortcut disable on my remote or screen.

It shows as turned off in the settings, but then you play something on PBS and it is on. You click Options five times, it disables, but it is not turned off.

I am ready to ditch the Roku and go buy an Apple TV. I have had nothing but problems. Thank God, I have not unplugged. Who would want to with buggy devices and NO customer service?

Zecol

Jump to solution

I finally solved the problem after spending three days thinking it was the Roku Audio Guide settings triggering the annoying descriptive voice narration.  It turns out that Accessibility settings on my TCL smart TV had accidentally been set to do the audio guides! I turned it off on the TLC setting menu ~ problem solved!!

0 Kudos