Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TP94041
Channel Surfer

App on Roku closes (exits) when changing HDMI Input on my Sony TV

I just upgraded to a Roku Express 4k 2021.  I used an older model 3 before, and I've used a Roku still too.  It's connected to a Sony XBR-65X850C.  HDMI port is configured for 4k (Auto).  When I switch inputs (HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 for example), the Roku Express will close whatever app I have running on it.  So, when I switch inputs back to the Roku, I have to then restart the app.  This does not happen in 1080 mode.  It only started happening in 4k mode.  This is incredibly annoying as, I like switching between inputs to watch multiple shows, games, etc. simultaneously.  Having to continually restart the app is unacceptable.  Anyone have a fix??  Thanks.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Spartan117
Streaming Star

Re: App on Roku closes (exits) when changing HDMI Input on my Sony TV

Anytime you exit out of your Roku it will default to the Home Screen. It does this to conserve on bandwidth. My Roku Ultra and Stick do this. Even my Roku TV does it. Usually when I’m done streaming I press the home button on my Roku. That way it goes back to the Home Screen. If I just turn my TV off it will do the same or switch inputs. It’s not like having a cable TV box where it’s on all the time. Your older Roku probably did not have this feature. 

0 Kudos
TP94041
Channel Surfer

Thank you for your explanation but, this is not a fix.  I need Roku to fix this.  There should be a way to disable this "feature".  Many ppl like to switch HDMI input briefly, to check a sports score or something but, then the Roku defaults back to Home and you loose your place.   My Tivo doesn't do this.  No other device on my TV does this, except the Roku.  I'm not exiting out of the Roku.  I'm simply switching TV input ports.  It's super annoying.  Roku needs to add the ability to disable this "feature".  Thanks.

0 Kudos
DieselTech
Binge Watcher

Feature requests go in this section here (link posted). But unless thousands of people request it then it’s most likely won’t be added. Have you considered using a live tv streaming service over cable tv or satellite?

https://community.roku.com/t5/Suggest-a-Feature/bd-p/Wishlist

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@TP94041 

Try disabling "Auto power savings":  Settings/System/Power/Auto power savings = unchecked

DieselTech
Binge Watcher

@UserOfStreamers  I believe that feature is only on the Ultra. He is not talking about the unit sleeping. If he watching Netflix on his Roku on input 2 and then switches to his cable tv input 1 to check sports scores when he goes back to his Roku it’s no longer on Netflix. It’s on the Roku Home Screen. What he wants is to be able to flip back and forth without the Roku going to the Home Screen 

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@TP94041 

The feature mentioned by @UserOfStreamers was introduced to the newer generation of Roku devices in 10.5 and should be located on your Express 4k (3940).  Would suggest following his instructions and try disabling it.  This power-savings feature has actually caused some HDMI issues for users.

You should be able to switch HDMI inputs with your other remote/tv remote and the Roku should continue streaming away in the background on the other HDMI.  Another setting you may want to try is to disable the 1-touch play CEC feature of the Roku device.  Could be a conflict between the two remotes you are using causing the Roku to return to the Home Screen whenever you press a button on the other remote.

Settings/System/Control Other Devices/1-touch play (Uncheck to Disable)

Feel free to post back with an update or if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

TP94041
Channel Surfer

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it, still have the same issue.

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@TP94041 

FTR, this is not the expected behavior when switching inputs (your Roku should continue doing what it was doing).

Its possible your TV is either disabling/resetting/powering down the HDMI input to which the Roku is connected.

A couple more things to try:

Roku:

1) Manually configure 4K:  Settings/Display type = 4K TV (do not use auto) - try again

2) Disable "Automatic recovery"/"HDMI fast suspend":  (Remote) Home 5x, Down, Left, Up 3x, Disable automatic recovery, Disable HDMI fast suspend - try again

Sony TV:

1) Switch HDMI ports to 2/3 - try again

2) Manually configure HDMI port for 4K (do not use auto) - try again

If none of this works, report the issue to Roku:     https://support.roku.com/contactus  (choose Ultra to get to chat/email)

0 Kudos
mojoman1

@TP94041 Man, I felt your pain. I finally figured this out -- it was a setting on my (Insignia) television, not the Roku. On my TV I went to Settings // INlink (HDMI-CEC) // INlink Control, and turned INlink Control from off to ON. That was all it took -- I had tried so many things that I didn't think this would work, but it did. Good luck!

0 Kudos