Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheWEGAMan
Reel Rookie

Any new Analog Composite out Rokus?

Hi, I was wondering if I could please know if there are any new Roku products planned with a Composite output coming in the near future. I use a very old TV as a hobby, hence I will not appreciate comments like "Just get a new TV bro, it's cheap!" as that is not the point. Alternatively, could you please enable the 480i resolution and 4:3 aspect ratio on current model Rokus?

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Any new Analog Composite out Rokus?

@TheWEGAMan wrote:

Hi, I was wondering if I could please know if there are any new Roku products planned with a Composite output coming in the near future. I use a very old TV as a hobby, hence I will not appreciate comments like "Just get a new TV bro, it's cheap!" as that is not the point. Alternatively, could you please enable the 480i resolution and 4:3 aspect ratio on current model Rokus?

Highly unlikely - the 3910 is more than 3 years old now and it does have composite "480i" 4:3 output, and you can acquire one on ebay.

They wont be enabling 480i over HDMI, so you'll want to acquire a 3910.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

As for your analog out, plenty of "HDMI to composite/RCA adapters" out there that should work for you.  About $10-15.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Rocky714
Binge Watcher

First thing that you'll want to know if you do try to shop for a 3910 is that eBay sellers are not very careful or consistent about what model it is that they are selling.  I purchased a mis-advertized Roku specifically because it would support composite video but it didn't and I had to return it.  Before you put an offer in on anything, no matter what the seller says he is selling and no matter what the pictures show (unless it is the actual unit you are buying and you can see the composite support because many sellers just use stock photos), contact the seller and confirm that the unit you will be putting an offer in on supports composite video.  Another unit that I was about to put an offer in on said it was a 3910RW.  I asked the seller and sure enough, it was a 3931 EVEN THOUGH IT SAID THE UNIT SUPPORTED COMPOSITE VIDEO IN THE AD.

Second thing you'll want to know is that 3910s are not only rarer than hens teeth on eBay, their prices are off the charts.  I've been in the market for a few weeks now and there's nothing cheaper than $75 and some well over $100.  At that point, you might as well toss the old TV, get a cheap used HD TV off of Craiglist and a used Roku (if you've got the $100).  Or get a cheap Roku and a HDMI to composite converter suggested above (if you don't have the $100).  Good luck.

-Rocky714

0 Kudos
TheWEGAMan
Reel Rookie

TMK Over HDMI, Rokus DO NOT support the 4:3 Aspect Ratio and 480i resolution, hence the picture would not display properly, being distorted.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Some HDMI to analog converters handle the aspect ratio, while some do not. There have been users reporting success, but I have no idea what converters were successfully used. 

I just did a quick web search, and it seems near impossible to find a streaming player of any brand with analog outputs. The older Roku Express+ did pop up on Amazon for $80, but that's a lot of money. You also might find a DVD or Blu Ray player with analog outputs that offer some streaming apps, but that won't be close to what you can watch with a Roku. 

Dan

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
AvsGunnar

There used to be analog switches that did this but they were usually one way. Converted RCA to HDMI and then allowed toggle between 16:9 and 4:3.  Since you said you were doing this for a hobby, you may be able to do research and see if any switches exist that still has this feature, except reverse in your case.  

Otherwise, you may be just trying to fit a square peg into a round hole trying to get everything to work with what you have.  Even after getting everything to work properly if you can, the tube will go out or the power supply. (Murphy's Law, my friend).  But again, if done purely as a hobby, good luck to you, hopefully you can find something that works for you.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
retaichraq123
Streaming Star

I found a Roku Express+ (3910RW) for $35 on eBay, which seems to be an outlier price-wise, because they regularly go for $80-100 used, it seems. I had to buy the video cable, but that Kodi nox was  cheap.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@retaichraq123  I bought the same model you mentioned, online from Walmart for somewhere between $37-$40 back in February 2020.  Can’t remember the exact price unfortunately but Walmart still had it in stock at the time. (currently it’s no longer in stock now).  Two years later, mine still works great.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos