Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MsPammy

Antenna TV for Roku stick

Will Roku ever be offering an update or an app that allows the Roku stick to support antenna TV in the user interface?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Antenna TV for Roku stick

Do you mean TV via an antenna (over-the-air TV) or a service called “antenna TV”? 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@MsPammy 

From personal experience using a RokuTV which incorporates OTA/antenna use into the Roku OS, be careful what you wish for.

There are way too many bugs during OS tweaks and updates which negatively impact the antenna function.

I would much rather reach for my TV remote and switch to the OTA/antenna input and let my TV's tuner handle that function.  After all, that really is what the TV was built for.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@MsPammy wrote:

Will Roku ever be offering an update or an app that allows the Roku stick to support antenna TV in the user interface?

If by Antenna TV you mean watching local over the air broadcasts, the answer is no. That requires hardware, an ATSC 1.0 tuner, that no Roku player has. Only Roku TVs have an ATSC tuner. 

If you mean to access the TV tuner that is contained in the TV the Stick is connected to, the answer is still no. That requires the TV to have an interface that permits something connected to the HDMI port to access the ATSC tuner. No TV has such an interface, and unlikely they ever will.

There was an earlier version of the Roku Stick that supported the MHL standard, which did allow the Roku to control the TV itself. Those are no longer available and unsupported by Roku, and TVs with MHL ports are few and far between.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos