Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
okaussie3
Roku Guru

Android Phone and Roku Streaming Stick Plus

How does one Cast from an Android Phone to a Roku Streaming Stick +?.. I want to play a game on my phone but the screen is too small.  I want to play it on my phone but want to see it on the TV..

The Phone is a Motorola G6 and I try to CAST it and tells me no devices are in the neighborhood.

My Roku is set to accept any mirroring devices but shows no list of them.

I can, however, Use the direct WIFI on the phone and play videos on TV, but nothing from the internet.

Is this even possible??

TIA

Okaussie3

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
MilesT
Roku Guru

Re: Android Phone and Roku Streaming Stick Plus

Yes it is possible, but Android phones and Chromebooks are a bit hit and miss as to whether it works.

Personally I have found that using a cheap miracast standard dongle in a different HDMI port to be more effective for casting than Roku. Should cost no more than the express for a cheap noname one, bit more for a Microsoft branded one.

Or a certain other company's casting/streaming device.  You know, the company that owns the Android platform....

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@okaussie3 

There is casting, and there is mirroring, and they are not the same, though sometimes they are named the same.

Its not clear whether you are trying to cast (from an app) or mirror the display (from the OS)

Roku supports Miracast (mirroring), DIAL (casting), AirPlay2 (casting & mirroring) and PlayOnRoku (casting).

Your Motorola G6 is Android based, and unfortunately Google deprecated/removed Miracast support in favor of GoogleCast/Chromecast (casting & mirroring) in more recent Android versions, though some OEMs add it back (e.g. Samsung).

You'll need to look for a Miracast-compatible/capable app in the Play store if you want to mirror your phone's display to your Roku.

Some DIAL-enabled apps (NF/YT) will be able to cast to your Roku since Roku has DIAL support.

Otherwise, you'll need to get a GoogleCast/ChromeCast-capable Android TV-based device to mirror or cast from your phone (e.g. GCCWGTV/O4KSB/TS4K/etc).

okaussie3
Roku Guru

Here is what I would like to do:

Play Farmville 3 on my G6 and have it show up on my 43" Sceptre TV via the Roku.

If that cannot be done, I will by an ONN dongle for the TV that will display, Miracast, Chromecast, etc.

This is my setup and situation.

I have tried CAST on my phone but the ROKU won't see it under mirroring devices.

I have tried WIFI Direct on my phone and it will show pics from my phone via Roku to my TV.  Roku still shows no mirroring devices and won't show my game..

I also have tried miracast software from the Google App store and the Roku still won't see it.  When I try to cast it to the Roku, it still won't see it.

I guess I will just wait and get the ONN dongle and see if that works.  Maybe the Roku just won't work with my phone...

TIA

Bill

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Again, If you want to mirror to your Roku from your Android phone, you'll need Miracast capability - either via the OS or an app.  Your G6 doesnt have it via the OS, and you havent found an app that enables it.

Sans Miracast capability on your phone, you'll need to get a streamer with ChromeCast/GoogleCast capability - do NOT get the ONN FHD dongle; its only 1080p, and for $5 more you can get the ONN 4K Streaming Box, and you'll have all the casting & mirroring capability/compatability you want for your phone.

okaussie3
Roku Guru

Okay, then what app should I get for my phone????

I found what you suggest and put it on my grocery list for next week.  The WallyWorld where I get my groceries have it in stock..

TIA

Bill

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

He never said an app. You need to buy a Chromecast. A G6 is also a very old phone which doesn’t support Android 12

0 Kudos
okaussie3
Roku Guru

It is a motorola G6 Power and I got it in 2019.  So I don't need an app for it??  Just turn on the CAST or do I use Google Home to connect it to the Chromecast??

0 Kudos
AeroSpaceTech
Roku Guru

The G6 was released in 2018 as a budget phone. He didn’t suggest an app. He said if you want to cast for your phone to your Roku you cannot. So you would have to buy a Chromecast or get a néw phone 

0 Kudos