Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Always restarts roku express

I have had a roku express hooked up to my tv in my living room and not long after I got it, it keeps restarting on me. I go to an app and it restarts, if i get into the app when i search for something to put on it will restart on me. Ive uninstalled things and reinstalled them. Ive factory reset it as well. Only keeps getting worse. What should I do? Im about ready to throw it away its that annoying.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Always restarts roku express

How are you powering it?  If you're using the USB port on your TV, try the supplied USB power adapter.  If you're already doing that, try the one for your phone, tablet, Alexa device, etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The one that i have did not come with the power adapter. It plugs into the tv usb port. I originally tried it plugged into a power adapter and it did not work. @renojim 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

If you didn't get a power adapter you got ripped off.  You must have another USB power adapter lying around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

The directions said to plug it in to the tv or it wont work

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

@SammiSalsa1990 wrote:

The directions said to plug it in to the tv or it wont work

I suspect your instructions said to plug the HDMI cord into the HDMI port on the tv or it wouldn't work.  That's what provides the audio and video signals to the tv.

The USB port on a Roku Elite is only used for power input.  You might get away with plugging the USB power cord into a USB port on the tv, but many tv USB ports do not provide adequate current to power the Roku reliably.   As indicated previously, it is recommended to plug this into house power via the power adapter that should have come with it.  If you don't have this adapter, you may have another on hand you can use from a mobile phone or other device - just be sure the fine print on it rates it for vat least 1.0 amps output.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I tried having it plugged into the wall with an adapter, it would not work at all. Plugged into the tv it works. I have one in my room no problems at all but the one in the living room is really pissing me off.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

@SammiSalsa1990 wrote:

I tried having it plugged into the wall with an adapter, it would not work at all.

Did you have it plugged into an outlet controlled by a wall switch that might have been turned off?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
0 Kudos
Highlighted

No i didn't do that. I had it plugged into the same outlet as the tv and that was on. It would not work at all plugged into an outlet only the tv. It just keeps resetting and it makes me want to throw it away because it shouldn't keep slipping that @makaiguy 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 16

Sorry but I'm still struggling with it not working at all when plugged into the wall. That should be your best and most reliable way to power your unit.

This is plugging into the wall via the power adapter that came with the unit and using the same usb cable that works to power the unit when plugged into a usb port on the tv? If so that would seem to point to a defective power adapter. Have you tried with a different adapter you might have handy (again, one rated for at least 1 amp output)?
0 Kudos