Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Alternate Model Number Codes of Roku Devices by Retail Companies

Jump to solution

I’ve noticed that the model numbers of Roku devices at Wal-Mart stores end with an RW, as an alternative to X, and some even appear to have alternative numerals.  My question is, are there any other retail companies selling Roku products that use the alternate model number codes, or is Wal-Mart the only retail company that uses them?  I’d like to know, thank you for any responses.  
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Alternate Model Number Codes of Roku Devices by Retail Companies

Jump to solution

@Michelle3 

Walmart is RW (Retail, Walmart), and I believe other Retail sellers simply get R. (Retail)

Most likely attributable to the device exclusive relationship/partnership between Walmart and Roku. (Some Roku devices are only carried in/offered by Walmart like the Express 4k and Ultra LT).  

New venture seems to indicate you can now begin shopping at Walmart through your Roku device. (https://newsroom.roku.com/news/2022/06/walmart-and-roku-debut-first-of-its-kind-partnership-to/dopdt...)

---

Other than my Ultra 4661R (bought at Best Buy w/JBL earbuds included), all my other devices show in the Settings what is on the accompanying box packaging. (RW or X).  My Ultra, though, shows 4660X in Settings, which I was under an early impression indicated an online purchase (direct from Roku).

----

For the most part, the devices will perform the same (same hardware) whether purchased in retail or online.  Just some of the devices may include additional features (remote functions, earbuds, etc).

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Nowadays R or RW is the Roku, the accessories, and the box. X is just the Roku itself. Ten years ago R was retail, brick & mortar stores, where X meant online seller. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AvsGunnar

Jump to solution

@Michelle3 

Walmart is RW (Retail, Walmart), and I believe other Retail sellers simply get R. (Retail)

Most likely attributable to the device exclusive relationship/partnership between Walmart and Roku. (Some Roku devices are only carried in/offered by Walmart like the Express 4k and Ultra LT).  

New venture seems to indicate you can now begin shopping at Walmart through your Roku device. (https://newsroom.roku.com/news/2022/06/walmart-and-roku-debut-first-of-its-kind-partnership-to/dopdt...)

---

Other than my Ultra 4661R (bought at Best Buy w/JBL earbuds included), all my other devices show in the Settings what is on the accompanying box packaging. (RW or X).  My Ultra, though, shows 4660X in Settings, which I was under an early impression indicated an online purchase (direct from Roku).

----

For the most part, the devices will perform the same (same hardware) whether purchased in retail or online.  Just some of the devices may include additional features (remote functions, earbuds, etc).

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Thank you for the information.  
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Nowadays R or RW is the Roku, the accessories, and the box. X is just the Roku itself. Ten years ago R was retail, brick & mortar stores, where X meant online seller. 

Edmund

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar

I could imagine Best Buy’s code being RB (Retail, Best Buy), Amazon’s code being RA (Retail, Amazon) and Target’s code being RT (Retail, Target).  Of course, though, those codes would only happen if Roku had exclusive partnership with those retailers.

There’s also the codes CA and S3.  CA is (Canadian), while I believe S3 is (Special).

~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos