Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raint567
Reel Rookie

All rokus are linked together how to stop

I have 3 Rokus and never had any issues.  I added a 4th Roku and now all my rokus are link together.  When i delete an app in one or add an app it does it automatically on all the others.   How do I stop this? I have 3 kids with different preferences.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: All rokus are linked together how to stop

@raint567 

Perhaps you never noticed, but Roku has always worked that way.

For devices tied to the same Roku account, if you add an app to one, it gets added to the others. If you remove an app from one, it gets removed from the others.

In the early years, the removal didn't happen until the other device(s) rebooted, but in OS 10 (maybe OS 9) the addition/removal to other devices came pretty much real time.

If a Roku device is tied to a different account, this won't happen. So, if you want one set of apps on one device, but a different set of apps installed on another device, they need to be tied to different Roku accounts.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@raint567  Any Roku device you are signed into will all have the same channels. For the kids Roku you can simply unlink that Roku from your account. The kids can still use it you won’t be able to add anymore channels 

0 Kudos
raint567
Reel Rookie

I guess i never noticed.  Its a a good feature but every roku should have an option under settings to unsync/unlink, but keep roku on the online account.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@raint567  just go online and log into your Roku account. Unlink Devices from there

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@raint567 wrote:

I guess i never noticed.  Its a a good feature but every roku should have an option under settings to unsync/unlink, but keep roku on the online account.

I'd prefer profiles. But, the approach you suggest, one that Apple TV took, could work. But, keep in mind that others may not be as capable as you at managing different devices. Some could be totally lost when it comes to different app lineups on different devices. Roku made a hard decision, and it's one that right now does not work well with your situation. But alternatives of some kind would be good.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos