Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sj20924
Level 8

Re: Roku 9.4 Firmware Apple Airplay

Jump to solution

@Fred3 wrote:

I just got 9.4 firmware on ROKU this morning. I am able to use airplay from my iPad to ROKU for youtube video, but not working from HBO Max. warnermedia is still an incompetent mess, more concerned with firing thousands of employees during a pandemic than having usable products/apps.

That's interesting.  You're the first person I've seen who's posted that they were able to get Airplay to work on the 9.4 firmware in some cases.  Have you tried mirroring your entire iPad screen over Airplay? (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204289#mirroriOS)  I don't have 9.4 yet, so I haven't been able to test.

0 Kudos
Fred3
Level 10

Jump to solution

I was mistaken. I actually am not able to use airplay from my iPad. Somehow I am able to mirror youtube only, but not through airplay. I have 9.4 but there’s no airplay. ROKU needs to explain themselves. In September they clearly said that 9.4 was going to have airplay/homekit and was to be released in October. Very irritating.

0 Kudos
wood1208
Level 8

Jump to solution

Only thing asking is Roku just list the Streaming devices which will support AirPlay 2 when Roku OS 9.4.x update will be released in next few weeks(toward the end of year). It helps Roku to sell those airplay 2 supported devices, instead potential customers buy Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K or AppleTV 4K or others.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Fred3 wrote:

I was mistaken. I actually am not able to use airplay from my iPad. Somehow I am able to mirror youtube only, but not through airplay.

YouTube, Netflix and a few others have an application-level protocol to cast a selected video to a different device.  It works by telling the other device what video to play and it then gets its own copy independent of the device that started it.

bbh
Level 7

Jump to solution

I just received a new ROKU Ultra from ROKU. Imagine my disappointment when, fresh from the factory, it does NOT contain the most updated software. I bought it EXCLUSIVELY for the Airplay2 functionality. Should have bought another AppleTV4K.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Jump to solution

My experience with tech announcements for 'later this year' is that a few devices will get the update in late December and then there's a 50/50 chance that problems will delay general rollout for months after that.

So don't hold your breath.

0 Kudos
jcar
Level 7

What build of 9.4.0 will truly have airplay 2?????????????????

Jump to solution

I just purchased a StreamBar and it came with 9.4.0 Build 4164 and no dice. It tells me it is the most current update although i see builds like 4174 being discussed on the ROKU community. Can you tell me what build will finally have AIRPLAY 2 and i hope it is obvious and intuitive to use when it does come out.

0 Kudos
Theyhavelanded
Level 7

Re: What build of 9.4.0 will truly have airplay 2?????????????????

Jump to solution

I got 9.4 build 4176 today. Doesn’t look like Airplay has been added yet. 

0 Kudos
dave999z
Level 9

Jump to solution

Same, got 9.4 build 4176 today, and no airplay.

Roku, may we please have an ETA?

And have they even officially said that this functionality will come to the 2019 Roku Ultra?

0 Kudos
copperage
Level 7

Jump to solution

On settings, the update has a mirroring section but my ios devices don't recognize it

0 Kudos