Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: Airplay support - Roku 9.4

Jump to solution

@ivanoharris wrote:

My Roku Ultra 4k has been upgraded to 9.4 today and yet I cannot figure out how to use the Airplay2 features that were mentioned to come with it.  I cannot find any documentation on this subject.  Does anyone know what we're supposed to do to enable?

While 9.4.0 build 4155 has been released/made available, unfortunately there is no indication it contains any AirPlay2/HomeKit support (there are no new libraries or modules suggesting/indicating its existence).   If you carefully parse Roku's statement at https://blog.roku.com/roku-os-94

"Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKitLater this year, we’re expecting to deliver Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit capabilities on select 4K Roku devices. With AirPlay 2, you can stream, control, and share your favorite content directly from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to your Roku device and bring the experience to the big screen. HomeKit allows you to easily and securely control your Roku device using the Home app and Siri on iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, or HomePod."

(emphasis mine)

..you'll notice the AirPlay2/HomeKit support section starts with "later this year", though this is included with the 9.4 OS immediate availability announcement.

This suggests that initial builds of 9.4 will not include AP2/HK, and subsequent/later builds closer to the end of the year will.  Its entirely possible that Roku will issue a point release of 9.4 (such as 9.4.1) specifically for the inclusion of AP2/HK, and one should also expect that the Apple TV app will be updated around the same time period to support it as well.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser wrote:

@ivanoharris wrote:

My Roku Ultra 4k has been upgraded to 9.4 today and yet I cannot figure out how to use the Airplay2 features that were mentioned to come with it.  I cannot find any documentation on this subject.  Does anyone know what we're supposed to do to enable?

While 9.4.0 build 4155 has bee released/made available, unfortunately there is no indication it contains any AirPlay2/HomeKit support (there are no new libraries or modules suggesting/indicating its existence).   If you carefully parse Roku's statement at https://blog.roku.com/roku-os-94

"Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKitLater this year, we’re expecting to deliver Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit capabilities on select 4K Roku devices. With AirPlay 2, you can stream, control, and share your favorite content directly from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to your Roku device and bring the experience to the big screen. HomeKit allows you to easily and securely control your Roku device using the Home app and Siri on iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, or HomePod."

(emphasis mine)

..you'll notice the AirPlay2/HomeKit support section starts with "later this year", though this is included with the 9.4 OS immediate availability announcement.

This suggests that initial builds of 9.4 will not include AP2/HK, and subsequent/later builds closer to the end of the year will.  Its entirely possible that Roku will issue a point release of 9.4 (such as 9.4.1) specifically for the inclusion of AP2/HK, and one should also expect that the Apple TV app will be update around the same time period to support it as well.

Well that certainly is a frustrating take, but I think it does a good job of explaining why my Roku isn’t working as desired. Guess I’ll temper my expectations for a while longer. 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Meanwhile would be nice Roku releasing A list that will support AirPlay2.

Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

Just as with the former 9.2 to 9.3 upgrade, there are always issues the must be addressed when Roku brings out a major software update.  I expect Roku wants to get any issues introduced by 9.4 taken care of before adding additional capabilities, which may introduce their own new issues.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Roku 9.4 Firmware Apple Airplay

Jump to solution

Hi, 

My Roku Ultra just updated to firmware 9.4 and I was under the impression that Apple Airplay would be added, but so far I have been unable to airplay anything from my iPad and I can’t find a way to make sure the feature is enabled in my settings on my ultra device. Would anyone have any tips? 

Thanks in advance as any information would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Roku 9.4 Firmware Apple Airplay

Jump to solution

Roku only started rolling out 9.4 recently.  They do this gradually over several months and what determines who gets it when is only known to Roku.

But from what I've read, 9.4 adds the ability receive the capability of using Airplay when it is added later.  I'd guess they want to make sure they get any bugs in the basic Roku functions worked out before adding new functions.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

@makaiguy wrote:

Roku only started rolling out 9.4 recently.  They do this gradually over several months and what determines who gets it when is only known to Roku.

But from what I've read, 9.4 adds the ability receive the capability of using Airplay when it is added later.  I'd guess they want to make sure they get any bugs in the basic Roku functions worked out before adding new functions.

I’m not a newbie, but you would think they would say that rather than implying that the feature would be available when the new firmware os was/is installed. Beyond wanting access to HBOMax, I was hoping that the feature would at least allow me to airplay content from Facebook Watch from my iPad to my Roku devices seeing as Roku doesn’t have the Facebook Watch app either. Very few things are missing from Roku’s platform, those are two of the bigger things. I appreciate the info though because I was under the impression as a longtime Roku user that the feature would be available upon the new os being installed.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

I just got 9.4 firmware on ROKU this morning. I am able to use airplay from my iPad to ROKU for youtube video, but not working from HBO Max. warnermedia is still an incompetent mess, more concerned with firing thousands of employees during a pandemic than having usable products/apps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

IRe: Roku 9.4 Firmware Apple Airplay

Jump to solution

My Roku TV's (TCL 55" and 65") are still on 9.3.  I'd like to get 9.4.  Is there a way to do this other than trying 'check for updates' which shows me as up to date with 9.3.

I'd like the Airplay feature.  I'm keeping an old AppleTV box around to stream from my iPhone.

TCL55 and 65 inch Roku TV's.
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

@bvd1022 wrote:

@makaiguy wrote:

I’m not a newbie, but you would think they would say that rather than implying that the feature would be available when the new firmware os was/is installed. Beyond wanting access to HBOMax, I was hoping that the feature would at least allow me to airplay content from Facebook Watch from my iPad to my Roku devices seeing as Roku doesn’t have the Facebook Watch app either. Very few things are missing from Roku’s platform, those are two of the bigger things. I appreciate the info though because I was under the impression as a longtime Roku user that the feature would be available upon the new os being installed.

From Roku 9.4 announcement September 28, 2020 (emphasis added by me):

"Today, we introduced exciting new features that will roll out to Roku devices over the coming months."

"Later this year, we’re expecting to deliver Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit capabilities on select 4K Roku devices."

Somewhat ambiguous, I agree.  "Over the coming months" could just refer to the gradual rollout period while some people get it before (maybe long before) others.  Or it could imply the individual features subsequently mentioned in the article may follow later.

The "expecting to deliver" comment implies to me that Airplay may not be included in the initial 9.4 release.  The Airplay and HomeKit feature is the only one that mentions this "expecting to deliver" qualifying phrase.

0 Kudos