Roku Device Features, Settings & Updates

Help configuring Roku device settings, using Roku OS features such as screen mirroring, adjusting display type and audio settings, using Guest Mode, and assistance with software updates.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Airplay supported devices - Roku 9.4

Jump to solution

My Roku Ultra 4k has been upgraded to 9.4 today and yet I cannot figure out how to use the Airplay2 features that were mentioned to come with it.  I cannot find any documentation on this subject.  Does anyone know what we're supposed to do to enable?

4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku employes or Roku support - What build of 9.4.0 will truly have airplay 2??????????

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts regarding Apple Airplay with the newest OS 9.4.

As stated previously by @StreamerUser and mentioned in the Roku blog, "Later this year, we’re expecting to deliver Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit capabilities on select 4K Roku devices."

We currently cannot provide any further information at this time, however feel free to check the Roku blog periodically for any new updates regarding the newest features of OS 9.4.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Airplay support - Roku 9.4

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that Airplay will be supported on the following Roku devices on OS 9.4 as outlined in our Support page here

Roku TV 

Axxxx, Cxxxx, CxxGB, 7xxxx 

Roku Streambar

9102x

Roku Smart Soundbar 

9101x, 9100x

Roku Ultra

4800x, 4670x, 4661x, 4662x, 4660x, 4640

Roku Premiere

4630x, 4620x, 3920

Roku Streaming Stick®

3811x, 3810x

If you do not see Airplay on the above devices:
1) we would recommend trying to perform a manual update on your Roku device. For more information about how to manually update your Roku device, visit our Support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

2) Please be patient aware as we are working hard on releasing Airplay to the above mentioned devices and it may not be readily available.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

If you were previously experiencing an issue with accessing Airplay on a Roku Streaming Stick 3810x, we would recommend trying to perform a manual update on your Roku device as we believe this issue has been fixed.

For more information about how to manually update your Roku device, visit our Support page here: How do I update the software on my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Please be aware that Airplay will be supported on the following Roku devices on OS 9.4 as outlined in our Support page here

Roku TV 

Axxxx, Cxxxx, CxxGB, 7xxxx 

Roku Streambar

9102x

Roku Smart Soundbar 

9101x, 9100x

Roku Ultra

4800x, 4670x, 4661x, 4662x, 4660x, 4640

Roku Premiere

4630x, 4620x, 3920

Roku Streaming Stick®

3811x, 3810x

If you do not see Airplay on the above devices, please be patient aware as we are working hard on releasing Airplay to the above mentioned devices and it may not be readily available.

In order to avoid further confusion of posts, we will be closing out this thread. If you feel you need further assistance, please feel free to create a new thread.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
305 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Airplay 2 support for 4K Ruku devices??

Jump to solution

I was wondering if anyone knows which Roku devices available to buy now will definitely support Apple Airplay 2 in the new update coming out soon?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Airplay 2 support for 4K Roku devices??

Jump to solution

I believe the press release mentioned it coming on the 4K devices, so that should be the Premiere, Stick+ and Ultra. But until 9.4 officially rolls out we won't really know what existing players will get it. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yeah, I'm worried the inexpensive Premier won't get the update for that very reason.  Well, at least it's inexpensive...  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Airplay 2 support for 4K Ruku devices??

Jump to solution

Sooner the better for Roku to post the list of AirPlay 2 devices that will be supported in OS 9.4 release. Definitely helps in buying decision. Hope, Streaming Stick+ 4K is included.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

I believe the press release mentioned it coming on the 4K devices, so that should be the Premiere, Stick+ and Ultra. But until 9.4 officially rolls out we won't really know what existing players will get it. 

I believe AirPlay 2 and HomeKit are registered trademarks of Apple.  If my understanding is correct, Apple requires devices to have each device which are associated with use of these trademarks must be certified by Apple.

It seems likely that on-going drama with HBO Max forced Roku to announce early without having completed certificated for any specific models yet.  If that is the case, Roku themselves may not know for complete certainty what Apple will authorize being capable of Apple's features.  While Roku would know what devices they intend to get certified, they may not be allowed to state that yet.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

That makes sense, and I'll probably not be able to get it on the $39 one I just ordered, but I'll at least be able to circumvent the Spectrum Cable box with their app and hopefully be able to watch the Redzone channel without issue this Sunday.  fingers crossed!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

This is one reason I will wait to buy or not Roku's Streaming Stick+ 4K device. Need for 3 TVs in my house. Don't want to regret that Roku stick it to me by not supporting AirPlay 2 on Stick+. I am sure OS 9.4 is going through Beta testing so someone would know about the AirPlay 2 list.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I am waiting to find out what features Roku OS 9.4 brings to it's Streaming devices including Stick+ 4K that I want to buy. I was also interested, will Roku OS 9.4 brings other features besides AirPlay 2 to Roku Streaming Stick+ 4K supporting Audio,Video format/quality in-line with Amazon's fire TV Stick 4K streaming device ?
Supported Audio - Dolby Atmos Audio
Supported Video - Up to 4K Ultra HD with HDR, HDR 10, HDR10+, HLG, Dolby Vision 

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. Can’t figure out how to get Airplay working on my Roku Ultra (SKU: 4661RW) after it was updated to OS 9.4