Features, settings & updates

Get troubleshooting tips to configure your Roku settings. The community forum has tips for screen mirroring, Guest Mode, software updates, audio, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
merynr

Airplay screen mirroring from Macbook Air to Roku results in huge lag

I have a Macbook Air (M1, 2020) running Monterey (version 12.4) to replace an older laptop that died (Macbook Air 2015), and whenever I use Airplay on the new laptop to mirror my screen on my Roku (model 3930X, Roku Express, software version 11.0.0, build 4193-AE), there is a 1 second lag, and the image on the TV screen is super choppy (although it's smooth on my computer). I have rebooted the Roku, my computer, and the router for my internet, and this did not fix the issue. I checked my internet speeds (402.3 Mbps download, 21.3 Mbps upload) and it should be fine to handle this screen mirroring.

And if it's at all helpful, the TV I am using is Insignia™ - 43" Class - LED - 1080p - HDTV.

Any help in what can be done to address this issue is appreciated - I use screen mirroring quite often and really would like to fix this.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Airplay screen mirroring from Macbook Air to Roku results in huge lag

@merynr 

Internet speeds won't really impact mirroring, although they will determine how good the video is to the MacBook. For a 4K stream, 25 Mbps is fast enough, and you have more. The main thing is the local network. Your Roku Express is connecting to your network on the 2.4 GHz band, while your MacBook is probably connecting on 5 GHz band. I'm not sure if that would make a difference, as your previous computer probably did as well.

I have a question that the answer might cause worry to you. Did everything always work well with the MacBook Air (2015)? Never an issue with AirPlay? And the MacBook Air 2015 was up to date? Had the latest OS version running? (It supports the current, though is being dropped this fall; I have a decision regarding my 2015 MacBook Air to make then.)

If so, then what changed? Your computer. I wouldn't normally say a $30 Roku is more reliable than a brand new $1200 MacBook, but here we are.

I'm seriously thinking there's some glitch going on with your new computer. Check for updates.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

merynr

Ah good to know re: speeds.

And yes, you are right in that answer haha. The old laptop died, so I didn't really have a choice, but it worked totally fine with the Airplay (and was running the same OS as this new guy).

Sadly I did check for all updates and non are available, so I'm not sure if there is anything else obvious I can adjust or check on. But thank you for that input!

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@merynr 

Do you have just the one Roku device? I'm asking because even though the only thing we know that changed with the computer, there is one other thing that could have happened.

Your Express may have developed an issue that's impacting AirPlay, and that glitch in the Roku could have coincided with your new computer being deployed. The word "coincidence" exists for reason, after all.

If you have access to another Roku device, try AirPlay on it -- another you have, one a friend or family member has -- and see if you have the same problem.

Apart from that, I'm out of straws to grasp for.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

merynr

Thanks @DBDukes -- I don't at this moment but honestly may cave and get another Roku I can then donate to my family if that doesn't solve the issue (just because I screen mirror for a lot of my work and this isn't going to fly).

I appreciate the idea - if nothing else seems to be possible I will definitely give that a go.

0 Kudos
makaiguy

See if this forum post by @StreamerUser re getting Airplay to work from the earky days of Airply introduction to Roku helps: https://community.roku.com/t5/Roku-Device-Features-Settings-Updates/Help-setting-up-Apple-Airplay-on...

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X